TDS and washing filter socks

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by conjuay, May 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

We are prudently doing all water changes and topping off our tanks with RODI water, right?
    And then we pull the filtering sock out of the sump and wash it in the washing machine, using the tap water we wouldn't allow into the tank.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I actuly keep the large socks /micron bags , running 2 at a time and 2 for change out.
    When i wash them in the clothes washer i actully use bleach "1st cycle" then
    run them another cycle with plain tap water coming from house inlet to the washer.
    I have been doing this for sevral months with no problems.
    havint had to replace bags since i bought them.

4. truck24000

truck24000 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

sorry for the hijack but what is the purpose of the sock and what type do you use?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Good question I was going to ask it myself :confused:

6. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

THe sock removes large particles from the water coming from the tank, it's a kind of polyester felt. It looks like an airport windsock, hence the name.

Aquarium Filter Sock

Tangster, tell me that you were kidding!

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I actualy use the micron bags/socks ( mine are the size of feed bags )
    They also make other smaller sizes as well.
    As you can see below I have 2.
    one for all tank return ( large pipe )
    then the other as you can see for skimmer return

It doe's filter great for particulars very well,
    ( if you wish you can use that filter media/batting to put in the sock as well )
    I also run carbon ( in the skimmer bag )
    [​IMG]
    You can also see my "phosban" reactor , works very well .
    *And I never have replaced or had to buy additional bags/filter media
    aside from carbon from time to time.
    Wash the dirty ones and replace clean , bout once a week.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I really never found a need for them myself , What I find is the particles suspended in the water are coral food and I have pumps to alternate on and off during the night to feed my corals the particles that fall out and lay in the low flow areas of the sump.
    I've never had a issue with not doing total particulate filtration I did use them and even ran Ocean Clear modules on Fish only system. Since going to corals I do a little passive filtering on the skimmer outlet I run Carbon for total Ozone removal and I use a little filter batting laying under the carbon..
    Just never made sense to me to add small particle food for corals then sieve it out as fast as I added it . Besides it just another thing to deal with :) I have a few laying around that I have removed from others systems though . Might want to not run one for a few weeks to see what difference it makes if you have never tried to run the reef tank like that ? If its a Fish only then I'd leave them in place :)

10. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

I don't run them ALL THE Time, but I am a habitual overfeeder,and I need to get some nitrates out of the system somehow!
    But that's not the question:
    We go to great measures to use RODI water, and then we put a filter sock that has been washed in the tap water we won't use in the tank,-arent we increasing the TDS by doing this?

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Here is my point , If you run a filter sock then you you do not remove it and change it out daily then all the raw food that has been caught will start to decay and break down in hrs . How about the Nitrates there ? as the end product of the natural process of the de-nitrification process ..
    But I'd try to fix the problem then cure the cause cut back on feeding And if you do over feed why not just let it naturally break down in the water column to stay in the system as food for something ?

Thats all I'm saying maybe if you tried to go sock-less for a few weeks or months you'd not have to over feed so much in that there would be foods in different levels of decay that the different animals with in the system will use as food. All the little sand fauna needs their food to be served differently then a Tang as dor clams to Linkia star fish.. to snails and hermits to serpent stars . But if its working for you then keep doing it . I like to keep all my critters fed and keep the forager's happy .
    I'm not trying to sway anyone but to me the socks are more of a nitrate factory then anything else ? And as for washing them ?? I never used them But I see your point I'd simple rinse them in some R/O and bleach . make sure the nylon is bleach safe ?

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I also suspect I am a over-feeder...no way to really tell for sure[​IMG]. But use of filter socks helps alleviate side effects and keeps water sparking clear, which is way I want it.

Maybe if had fuge would be different.

I change out socks weekly...

As for washing...I just put in dishwasher and run a cycle with hot water...and they come out all clean and nice.

Corals, microfauna, etc...all seem to get enough to eat to thrive well.

Seems to work out well for me.

:-/