Tank Migration

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by techno2, Mar 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Hello All.

OK, so after much pondering, I have finally decided to migrate my SW from my 46 gal corner to the 46gal Bow. It just looks to have more room.

So I am switching to dual skimmers , ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer Deluxe w/ 5W UV Sterilizer (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Protein Skimmers > Hang On > Venturi )
    and CPR Bak-Pak Dual Pak Protein Skimmer (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Protein Skimmers > Hang On > Venturi )

to replace the dual Penguinn filters, adding Phosphate reactor, Via Aqua Poly Reactor: Aquarium Equipment and Supplies - Aqua Buys replacing the live sand, "Decided to go with the Nature's Ocean - Live Sand " .

What I do not want to do is replace the live rock. Amidst my algae is a good base of Coralline.

Problems I am looking to solve;
    1.) Run From Ich
    2.) Reduce Phosphates to reduce Algae, (Come to find I have Phosphates from my source water.)
    3.) More space to swim, although gallons are the same, it is a long, not high.
    4.) Make it better looking.

Now I have battled Ich in the past, but everyone in the tank have been healthy for over a month. When I add ne fish they do tend to get it though. So I hope with a new setup we can try and start a little fresher.

So, to my question.

I know that a FW dip for 5 minutes is supposed to work for Ich on the fish, but what about Live Rock ? When I transfer the Live Rock I want to do the following.

[​IMG] Move the live Rock into a FW bucket and brush off the Algae then place in the new tank.

Does this make any sense ?
    Will it help or hurt or neither ?

Any thoughts ?

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Ouch, wheres the love.

Any one out theer can help me with whether or not to dip and clean my live rock before putting it in the new tank. ? Not looking for a boil and cure, just a cleansing.

I know that a FW dip for 5 minutes is supposed to work for Ich on the fish, but what about Live Rock ? When I transfer the Live Rock I want to do the following.

Move the live Rock into a FW bucket and brush off the Algae then place in the new tank.

Does this make any sense ?
    Will it help or hurt or neither ?

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I don't really know about the FW dip for LR. I've FW dipped my fish and I'm glad I did. I've scrubbed my LR with a stiff brush, but always in SW. I'd expect that a FW dip for LR might cause a die-off of the very bacteria you're looking to keep alive. Although, I don't know if the level of die-off would be detrimental to the point where you place your tank inhabitants at risk.

Why not try it with maybe 10% of your LR, and keep an eye on the ammonia for a week or so. If no spike, then go from there.

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Ahh, good point
    Thanks.

Time is not a luxury this weekend so I think I will just brush off the Algae in SW. I dont want to lose the Coralline or good Bacteria.

\Cheers

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Help!

OK, Have to say so far, I'm not impressed. After installing the BakPak and Via Aqua, 24 hours later, the water is just as dirty as when filled it.

Are Protein Skimmers not enough to actually clean a dirty tank ? Are they meant for bad particulates in a clean tank or something ?

The new Live sand created such a cloud when adding the new water, these skimmers just cant get rid of it. On my last tank this happened and the 2 filters cleared it up right away.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

All tanks have ick whither it is visible or not. It shows up when fish get stressed. Add some Vit C or garlic to your food and let it soak for 20 to 30 min before you feed and try to stay away from meaty foods will also help with your PO[SUB]4[/SUB].
    Give the water time to clear up. Did you start your tank with water from your main tank or is it all new water? If you are using your LR from the other tank then you should just move it all at once to keep the bacteria.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

This is all new water and all new sand. I havnt moved the rock or fish yet as I cant see into the tank. I just got some Vit C and Garlic and will be starting to use it. I think the Eel has to go. I just saw a full grown at the LFS and he did not look happy in under 100 gallons. I will bring him to the LFS for adoption. He will be missed.:cry:

I will let it sit for a few days and see how it clears up.

Thanks Again

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Lessons Learned

:confused:

OK, So here is where I ended up. I thought I would post to try and help someone else from making some of the same mistakes I did.

Bad Ideas:

Bad Idea 1 - Black Live Sand, Didn't look good and the mud it made would have taken two months to clear up.

Bad Idea 2 - Adding the cheap really black sand on top of the live sand. Even after soaking and rinsing, it still clumped up and floaated.

Bad Idea 3 - Getting two Protein skimmers and no filter. Lessons learned, there is such a thing as over skimming, skimmers dont make good filters.

OK, So what did work?

I went out and got an Aquaclear 110 to replace the Via Aqua Multi Skimmer. Now I am running the CPR dual backpack and the Aqua clear. Good combo so far.

I also replaced the black beech with the Indo Pacific Live Sand from Ocean direct. Looks real good and doesn't cloud too much when starting.

I'm not even sure if I will need the Via Aqua Reactor with the BaaKPak2 running, but we will see. I will add for Phosphate removal as needed.

I am thinking of taking the UV out of the Via Aqua and placing it in the CPR BakPak. I will let you know how that works, if I dont blow myself up that is.

I will clean the filter after a couple of days, and let the filter and skimmer run for a week and check conditions. Then if all goes well, start to move my live rock in.

Very costly mistakes., well lots of equipment for the left over parts bin
    \Cheers

11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Migration Completed, With Pics

Well it was a long weekend but its finally finished.
    The first pic is just after adding the water with the Black sand, the second pic is after starting over with White sand and replacing the Via Aqua Multi Skimmer with the Aquaclear 110. What a difference..

Before -
    100_6090.jpg

After -
    100_6094.jpg

\Cheers

12. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Everyone seemes happy

;D
    Here are pics of the tenents after the move.
    Flame Angel - 100_6100.jpg
    Shrooms - 100_6098.jpg
    Sally Lightfoot - 100_6101.jpg
    Blenny - 100_6105.jpg

Others were not playing nicy nicy for the camera.

\Cheers