Is this stupid?.....biocube

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Lbannie, Apr 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lbannie

Lbannie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 40 breeder. 2 clowns 2 damsels and sleeper goby. A few soft corals.
    We are going to be building our house soon. In the process we will be moving in with my mother in law.(yikes!) it will be into one large room with my 90 pound dog and 2 cats. I'm thinking its going to be cramped in their!

My latest idea is to buy a 29 gallon biocube. Is this stupid?? I like the plug and play idea. Slightly smaller, closed top. Everything hidden.
    Does anyone have this? Pros cons? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

are you wanting something smaller to keep while you are living with the in-laws? I know many people love biocubes. I think it's a great idea.

4. Lbannie

Yes. Seems like it would be easier to move!
    I'm not sure if I should keep my led light (reefbreeders 32") or sell it since they seem to come out with something better all the time! It might be obsolete by the time I use it again! Lol!
    I want to upgrade to a much larger tank, but I keep debating on staying with salt or having a freshwater planted tank. I don't know if I could afford a huge saltwater tank!

As for the biocube I've seen the one with PC/ led lights online. Would that be ok for soft corals? I'm wondering what the price difference (up front and electric bill) is for the MH version. I can't find one yet!

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Been toying with the PnP idea myself, with the 29BC at the top of the list. :)

Most any stock biocube reef light will be sufficient for soft corals. I wouldn't recommend MH unless you want SPS; even then, a retrofit LED upgrade would be a more efficient option.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. Lbannie

They have the BC 29 on drs foster smith for $195 right now. I think I'm going to go for it! I found the MH kind....way too expensive! Funny looking too

If I used NEW sand and my current LR and water, would I have a cycle? Would the fish be ok?

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Even with new sand, you should be fine. I've switched tanks that way many times with no problems.

8. Click Here!

9. Lbannie

I thought so. I had a leak issue in the past where I did that. Just making sure!

10. Lbannie

Bought the BC 29 last night! Didn't want to miss the sale :)

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Feel free to check out my thread -- I have had a 29g Biocube for several years now and to be honest, unless you're new to the hobby then I would avoid these tanks! First you'll need to gut the entire back filtration, and ideally add a refugium or sump because the 29gallons really turns into about 20gallons when you add your rock and sand. Also, the lights are not great. I was fortunate enough to win some free LEDs, but now I have a 250w MH hanging over the top and its great.

Also the flow is horrible. They require an aftermarket pump as well as a powerhead or two. I ended up spending hundreds trying to play with different powerheads in order to get the flow proper. I ended up getting the MP10 after multiple failed attempts with other brands. Some either provide too much, or not enough, or just take up a lot of space.

My suggestion would be to try and keep the 40g. Come up with a way to create a custom stand that will fit your specific needs. I think the Biocubes are very redundant. But I will add, I have really enjoyed mine -- as a first saltwater tank, it has been a real great learning experience for me. Had I the option to do everything again, I would stick to the 40g + 20g sump