Spray bar question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by thenagler72, Feb 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

Hey everyone. I have a big canister filter on my tank and im planning on using a spray bar on it for surface agitation for gas exchange and oxegenation, etc. my question is if I have a protein skimmer on the tank as well is it necessary to do both? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

All depends on your bioload. Skimmers are not needed unless you have a high bioload or a true mixed reef where there could be a lot of chemical warfare going on.

4. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

I was actually planning on taking all of the filter media out of the canister and using it for more water volume and water movement and just having live rock and skimmer for filter. I was just wondering if the skimmer would be enough and i would just use the canister outlet for current l lower in the tank.

5. jimnoland

jimnoland Plankton

The skimmer should saturate it with air.

6. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

So if the skimmer takes care of that then is there any other reason to have the bar up top?

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would buy a powerhead. Are you planning on having your skimmer as your only means of filtration?

8. Click Here!

9. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

oh I plan on getting a couple of powerheads too. And yes the skimmer and live rock as filtration. Live sand as well.

10. jimnoland

jimnoland Plankton

the spray bar thing will cool the water down, do you need it to?

and more water evaporation.

11. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

I dont need to cool it down...or I wont have to when i get the lights lol. It will be 4 t5 bulbs. the reason I ask is that a lot of people have said that they point their power heads towards the surface a little and they have a skimmer as well. So im not sure if i need to or not.

12. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

i have a spray bar in my tank dude....word of advice..keep it...the more water movement you can get the better...I have 3 power heads, the skimmer and my canister filter with the spray bar....the fish love it and the water stays in tip-top conditions.