Saltwater Regrets???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Triplemom, Nov 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Everybody has to have things they regretted when they first took up the hobby. Since I'm considering the upgrade to a 90, I would love to hear your regrets...might help me to not make the same mistake. As for mine, I have several. First of all, I wish I had allowed more sand "frontage." I really don't have room for some of the corals that sit directly on the sand bed since I set my rocks too close to the glass...I barely have room to get the Mag Float through in a few places. Will plan that better the next time.

I also regret not getting a better light fixture to start with. My initial light was a 4-bulb T5...it worked fine, but my coral growth was very slow. I then upgraded to a 6-bulb T5 and had much better growth, but if I had invested the same amount that I have in the two fixtures, I could have had a very nice light fixture to start with.

Along the same lines, I also made the mistake of buying a secondhand skimmer, which was a piece of garbage. I had to almost immediately upgrade to an Octopus, which I've been very happy with. There's nothing wrong with secondhand equipment, if you know what you're buying and who you're dealing with.

I could spend hours on my coral and fish mistakes (mostly jumpers...but not the coral...it didn't jump ;)). All I can say about that is research what you're getting and if it will work with your system.

I guess if I had advice to give a newcomer, I would say this hobby isn't cheap! Take the time to plan everything out financially before you take the plunge. Something will always come up that you didn't even think about...like a generator...I was a nervous wreck the first winter I had my tank without one...my Christmas present the next year was a generator! ;D

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

When I moved, I changed from CC to sand substrate. I wish I wouldn't have done that. CC looked better (IMO) and had much less issues with algae and the like. I know that goes against what a lot of folks parrot, but is my experience.

I will never use a 55 gallon tank again. The dimensions are terrible. Feeds into what you mentioned about having room between the rock and the front. It's hard to get flow all around the rock structures in this setup.

I did everything HOB. Worked fine but I could always hear that skimmer. For that reason alone, next time I want a drilled tank so I can put the skimmer out of view and muffle the noise.

It took me a while to learn, but hermits are the devil. They won't allow you to feed chunky food to coral w/o a lot of effort. However, I did find keeping a hermit in my skimmer did wonders for how often I needed to clean it. I kept a hermit in my octopus for over a year. It died when I had the skimmer off for a while (blown motor). Survived off the crap that accumulated at the bottom.

Auto dosing + ATO + low fish bioload/limited feeding + quality skimmer + large CuC = minimal work tank

Just my two cents.

2 people like this.
  4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Generator Is a must. And I don't have one yet. I just got back in the hobby and plan to buy one.
    There is never enough sand frontage it seems. Hehe.
    I've bought a lot of used stuff in the past. I bought a used Vertex Alpha 250.. the pump just broke after only about 3 weeks of use. Kaching... already down $$ for a new motor block. Sometimes used stuff just doesn't last but with my Vortechs I got 3 MP40Wes for
    $875. New would be $1380 so I figure Ecotech is good with the replacement parts if something breaks.
    Depending on the item and price I think I'll just go new for most things in the future. Especially if it has electronics, motors and ballast. hehe

I think a lot of the warnings were there for both of us. We read about and knew a lot of these things but just didn't listen. I lost a blue spotted Jawfish.. jumped into overflow found in the sock dead. So I am trying to consider every little tip I get from these forums.

One thing I am for sure doing differently with my new tank is dipping all corals with Coral RX. Nothing is going into this tank without a coral dip. I emailed them and asked about it killing Vermatid snails and they said it "should". So I do an extra thorough dip.

I am going to make more of an effort to keep the Alk and PH as stable as I can with this tank. Last tank I dosed by hand and I think maybe the alk swings bit me in the butt. Using dose pump for now and maybe get a reactor.

Water change station. I think if you have one of the nifty water change stations where you only have to move a couple valves or whatever it takes to make things easier you will do it more often since it will be easier.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

my regrets aside the fish i lost from lack of research are:

not glueing my rockwork first and foremost
    not getting good reliable equipment to begin with in order to save a couple bucks (you always end up spending more this way)
    rushing into sps from lack of patience
    not planning a nice large effective sump in my current set-up (though iv learnt to manage without).
    hand in hand with this goes the fact that though i never owned a drilled tank, im sure a drilled overflow system would kill any hob overflow.
    you may not need this on a 90 but, i also regret not looking at controllers for my pumps sooner, but this is minor damage.

good luck with your new set-up, its always a thrill!

1 person likes this.
  6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Oh.. my biggest regret.. trusting the little built in controller on heaters. Running a heater without a controller will get you sooner or later.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not sticking to my QT regimen. I went a little over 3 weeks on one fish instead of my usual ~4-6 and within a couple days showed signs of Ich. I kept it in the DT hoping it would be healthy enough to fight it but it eventually killed it and three other fish.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Great posts and very helpful information! Keep them coming!

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

This is a brilliant idea!!

In terms of regrets, I kind of wish I would have gone for a reef ready used system instead of buying everything new, but I think in the long run, I hope I'll be happy with the results.

1 person likes this.
  11. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

Going cheap, and then having to spend extra money on quality/reliable equipment.

12. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I regret that i didnt put a cover on my tank, after i bought my first fish: A lawnmower blenny. A couple of days later, it jumped out. And it was my only, and first saltwater fish. It broke my heart, haha. But my cat got a delicious meal though. I also really regret that i bought really fine sand, because whenever a fish decides to dig, i got a huge sandstorm in my tank and it really sucks. And the biggest regret of them all: Buying live rock instead of dead rock. I'm having SO much trouble with aiptasia, i've had my war with them since i started my reef tank 10 months ago. Those aiptasia are a NIGHTMARE! :(