RO/DI setup for reef and drinking

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ReefSparky, Jan 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I currently have a below-sink 2 stage water filtration system with its own mini faucet for drinking water. I'm about to purchase an RO/DI system for my tank, which will replace the 2 stage filter.

I plan on using the 1/4" tubing that's feeding my current filter system, for my RO/DI.

I'd like to plumb a line coming off my RO canister to my mini faucet, and plumb a line coming off the DI component to my aquarium, to an auto top off system. That way I'll have RO drinking water, and RO/DI water for the reef.

I'm wondering if there are any potential logistical issues with this setup. I don't yet have the RO/DI, but I've been doing research online about them.

It seems that for the RO drinking water part, I'll need a holding tank (like the popular 3.2gal capacity tanks that come with certain units), and this pressurized holding tank will service the faucet.

For the aquarium, I'll need a float switch which I'll plumb into my sump, which will be fed by a tube directly off the DI cartridge.

Are there any folks there doing this? If so, what parts will I need? Am I overlooking anything?

There's a vendor on eBay called Cleandrink, who has sold over 2500 units with perfect feedback. The unit I'm looking at is Reef Water Aquarium Reverse Osmosis RO DI combo Filter - eBay (item 230208110386 end time Jan-08-08 18:45:01 PST)

It seems like it will work. Any suggestions from those who have been down this road? Thanks all.

2. Click Here!

3. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Good luck. Hopefully somebody has tried this or is currently doign this. I would think splittign the line between the RO outlet and the DI canister is doable but not simple. Hope you figure out a good and reliable way. And if you do let us all know how it is done and post some pictures.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I might just keep my undersink filter, install my RO/DI in my laundry room with a hose bib adapter, and run my topoff off the 3.2 gal tank. I might make my topoff manual, twisting a tee nightly.

A few seem to think an autotopoff run off a pressurized tank is risky for accidental flooding potential.

I'm undecided.