reef tanks and cats

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by julian solos, Feb 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. julian solos

julian solos Plankton

I know that some of you have cats, and since I'm about to get a reef tank with a cat in the apartment, I just have to ask:

How much of a problem does a cat pose?

I know that my cat will be fastinated with the reef aquarium, but will there be temptation to try to jump on top of it or knock the thing over?

The one I'm picking up has a top on it that holds the lighting fixtures. From a lower vantage point, it would appear that the top was solid and could be lept upon. I don't want the cat thinking she could jump up there and end up knocking the thing over.

How can I encourage the cat to enjoy the aquarium while deterring her from getting "too" close?

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

4. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Good luck to you on that. I have two cats and my tanks have tops on them. However, this doesn't stop them from jumping on it. My one cat will jump at the glass as well trying to get the fish its kinda funny. I don't think you have to much to worry about as long as they cant play with the water itself or get any of their hair into the tank.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

barbed wire and razor wire with 1,000,000 volts running thru it :D?

6. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

We have had fish tanks in the house for a few years now with three cats for the most part (sadly now two) and they never even looked at the tanks. Didnt even care. I guess it just depends on the cats. Good luck :)

7. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

My cats lay on the custom canopy all the time. They learned not to drink the water on the first day.

8. Click Here!

9. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

my cats (3) love my tanks, they sleep next to them and sit and stare at them for hours. One of them is stupid and jump in one of them one day (more walked in and didnt understand she cant walk on water... since then they have not done anything but look at them from the sides =)

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

:lol::lol:

:uzi:I can take care of the problem for $50!!!:rifle:

I don't think you have much to worry about! My dog sheds like no other, I'm sure some of her hair has gotten into my tank. As long as you don't brush her and empty the brush in the tank, you should be ok, with a canopy or some other top.

11. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

right now 2 of my cats are laying up against my 5gal baby clown tank =) its so cute

12. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

i have 4 tanks... and i have 5 cats..

no cats in tank and no tank damaged by them..

they are used to sleep on the covered tanks as they have an hot top.. and they loves to see inside the tank (opened..) i have at the foot of my bed..
    and if they want they can jump inside.. the tank is only 50 cm higher then the bed an my cats are big cats...

so depends on cats.. but usually they are no problem