Quarantine Tank? FW Dip? Is it all really necessary?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CoralQueen, May 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

So don't yell at me :p i have never QT anything that I have bought since i started this hobby two years ago. All i have is a sump (half of which is a refugium) and a display tank. I have also never done a FW dip, but i have never had any problems (as of yet knock on wood). I don't usually buy corals on large pieces of LR just in case they might have something on them, but have i just been lucky or are these just precautions? Does any one else not do these and has been perfectly fine?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't have a QT, but I also don't have corals:(, yet. ;) With larger tanks I would definitely recommend a QT. If you do ever have an "outbreak" of something, hopefully it will be in that tank, rather than nuking your display, ruining all your hard work & money! On my upcoming(hopefully) build I will have a QT designed into the build, allowing space for it under the main tank. Fuge/sump combo beneath the tank - quarantine just beside the fuge.

1 person likes this.
  4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You were lucky. I had 6 fish in the tank, got a Kole Tang as my last addition, it brought in ich, infected every fish, and they all died except for 2.

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

you'd think im crazy, but i QT my cichlids whenever i got a new one. i havent even began to buy corals yet, but with all the nudibranch and various other hitchhiking possibilities i will be QT'ing them as well to confirm they're clean before they go into my main system.

im trying to be very delicate with what i put into my main system. i even keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. dont want to ruin all your hardwork because you went to a new LFS and picked up a "pretty" coral that winds up having death on its back

1 person likes this.
  7. Seano Hermano

Aren't most tangs "known" to have ich? Or at least be reputible for that.

8. Click Here!

9. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

I've never quarantined or FW dipped either :-X. Just acclimated and dumped it in. I did have my tank wiped out once a while back after adding a fish and some coral, but I don't really think that was the reason. I think it was something on the outside of the bag that was floating.

Don't worry... if you get yelled at over this I'll be there with you :p.

1 person likes this.
  10. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

true i do understand the concern with ich because i had a problem with it once and all but one fish survived which i had for two years so it was really sad, but it was also a tang and i was told that i still could have had ich problems even if i had QT it. I guess every time you go to add a new fish you would have to QT it so i have decided for now to stay away from tangs in order to not have to invest in a QT.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes. It's also true that a proper 2-month QT would have let me recognize and treat the issue before it got to the point of crashing the fish portion of my tank.

12. Seano Hermano

I have not yet, but should start, & would recommend, QT'ing all fish and corals. Some fish for up to 2 months, most corals about 2 weeks.
    Edit: I would also FW dip, though I know for some corals, this does more harm athn good. So only FW dip fish. I would recommend a SW dip for corals, maybe a lower temp to rid of hitch hikers?