powerhead placement

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ser_renely, Mar 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

Ok, I just got two maxi jet 900 for my 29g tank(also have an eclipse hood). My question is what is the best way to place these? I started with them on the same side, and quickly learned that that was a poor idea...toilet bowl ;D

So now I have them facing each other, but am curious how high I should put them and also should I have them diagonally pointed, or anything like that? I sort of feel I have them too high, but didn't want my fish to look like he had his head out a car window.

Tips would be great, ty :)

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I have one powerhead on each end of my tank. One is pointing slightly upward to create a little bit of surface turbulance, but not enough to "bubble" the water or create any splashing. The other one is pointing pretty much straight out in the middle of my tank. It provides a little waterflow everywhere, some goes down to sandbed, some of it goes to the surface. You just want flow in all of your tank, minimizing stagnant water. Play with it and observe. If your sandbed is having any distubance, move your powerhead. A pebble or two moving will expose the glass on the bottom of your tank by morning!!

As for the fish, this is there natural habitat!! If you have hardly any rock at all in the tank there will be plenty of places for them to hide in with little water turbulance. My clowns crack me up when they play the "powerhead game," they will hover around it then shoot straight towards it and they go flying 6 or 7 inches!! They are having a blast in there!

4. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

lol, thanks :) pretty funny about the clowns.

How would diagonally pointing them at each other be? One being in the side/back, the other front/other side, and then pointing them at each other?

guess I will have to try :)

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I think it's best to just play with it. Position them then feel around with your hand and try to get the most turbulance you can. I do know that surface water turbulance will help with your gas exchange which is a good thing;D. Just talking ripples nothing major. It's all about the all important flow!!

Have fun with it, you'll get it!

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I personaly would place one on each side, one would be higher than the other and both directed to the front of tank.

7. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

Do you mean pointed straight at the front or angled towards the front/center?

back
    |\-----------/|
    | \ / |
    | \ / |

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Either way, but I like the angled better.

l.\ ................................../.l
    l..\................................./..l
    l...\.............................. /...l
    l....\........................... /.....l
    l......\....................... /.......l
    l.......\.................... /.........l
    -----------------------------
    front

10. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

damn my ascii pic fell apart after it was posted. I think I see what you are saying.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Look again, that has happened to me before so now I do it this way. You have to "fill" in all the spaces.;)

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

every tank is different, your just gonna have to play with em. the rock structure, tank dimensions, corals, main water coming in and the power of the pumps all play a role. you dont want to blow the skin off the corals and you dont want a sand storm. but you want all areas covered, pointing them at each other at different angles and different heights will cause chaos, which is what you want. maybe even a wavemaker.