Power outage battery backup Penn-Plax Airpod

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by marlinman, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I had a bad experience a few days ago as the power was out for about an hour. In South Florida we get a lot of power outages because most of the electrical wirers are exposed to the elements and cars crash into poles all the time. I went exploring possible backup battery air pumps and came upon the Penn-Plax Air Pod. For only $50 it says it gives 150 Hours of backup battery power (4 D cells). This is the best deal I could find that gave me more than the usual time the others give. It has 2 air pumps and the unit automatically goes to battery power when the power goes off. It says it's designed for a 55 gal tank so with my 120 gal tank I'm thinking of buying 2 of them as hurricane season is right around the corner. Has anybody had any experience with this unit or any good solid unit. Do you think I need 2 units? I couldn't find anything close to what this offers but I'm open to suggestion.
    http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18280/si3811879/cl0/pennplaxbatterybackupairpump

2. Click Here!

3. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

What if power is out for 2 weeks !!!!
    That unit is probably good !!for a day or two ,I would invest in a small generator, depending on what you want to run, frig, tank lights, house lights, hot water heater, ect...
    From experience, I lost everything after Andrew !!!!!!!!!!!!and gave up saltwater tanks, I had 3 units like you are going to buy after 12 d size batteries went dead I went 100 miles and could not find any batteries, gas , ice whatever !!!! Invest in a 500, 1000 watt gen... and have piece of mind, Honda makes a nice one for 700 to 1200 bucks!!! After Andrew I bought a 7000watt gen...

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Heck go all out and buy a whole house generator!!!

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Unfortunetly I live in a condo and can't store gasoline. I'm going to try a dry run on the Airpod just to see how long it lasts. I will always be able to find someone with power so if I have 2 units I can recharge one that I'm not using. Lighting is a problem but what can I do oxygen is the most important thing for their survival and I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

6. PlanB

PlanB Plankton

Um, not sure if this thread is still active, but I am currently looking for a good power backup plan for my 29gal BC, and saw this. As to the batteries going out, how about just purchasing a bu** load of D batteries? I mean isnt that just common sense?? :confused:

7. milkman

milkman Plankton