Power Outage

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sean_p_f, Mar 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

Well i am one of the lucky ones to be in that awful ohio ice storm and you guessed it i am without power have been for 20 hrs now. Some fish have seemed to survive not sure what or how many.

For a quick fix i ran to autozone and got a inverter and a marine battery to power my pump in hopes that that will add some oxegon to the tank.

The local power company is saying sometime tomarrow if i am lucky. I am thinking i am fighting an uphiull battle at this point and i am kinda bummed. My fish were doing so well the mother nature decided i needed an ice storm ughhhhh.

Once i get power again i will let you all know my losses.

I see a small generator in my future.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As long as you keep the air pump working, you should be fine. Been there, done that. Try to get one of those battery operated air pumps that we, fisherman use to keep our shrimps/shinners alive

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Can hydrogen peroxide be used to add O2 to h20? with caution that is..... i use it with shiners to get them hyped for the pickerels mouth when ice-fishing.....

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats a very good Q. I wonder what other benefits, if any, it may have. Lets wait and see, shall we?

6. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

i hope you get power soon, you dont need to loose as many as i did.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i think it works like ozone because it has 3 oxygen molecules binded to hydrogen, but that can change the everything about that substance and its characteristics......gotta ask our resident biochemist :p can you guess who? lol

8. Click Here!

9. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

power has finally returned 23 hours later as for loses wont be sure until tomarrow but it looks as if my hippo tang and maybe a damsel or two and the angel arent doing well however the clownfish are ok (so far). in the goby tank all seem to be ok so here to crossing my fingers and hoping....

10. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

double post

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Did you keep the air pump working?

12. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

the inverter and marine battery kept the main pump going until the power returned however i didnt get that up and running until 3 hrs before power came back. i plan on running a test to see how long the marine battery will run the main pump on my next day off will update on losses later and lenght the pump runs.