Open Top Questions. Cat hair, dust, etc.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CLoob, Mar 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CLoob

CLoob Astrea Snail

Do any of you that have an open top tank own cats? My wife is worried that cat hair will get into the tank if we remove the hood off the tank. When I dust our hood I have never seen cat hair lying on top of the hood. What about dust, pollen, aerosol spray?

2. Click Here!

3. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have 2 cats, with glass tops. Cat hair will no doubt get into your tank. I have cat hair in my tank with the glass tops. I can't imagine not having tops with cats.

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I used to have cats with my open top tank. it wasn't a problem. I suppose it also has to do with how much you vacuum. With open tops dust and all kinds of things are bound to get into the tank. It's unavoidable. But with good filtration it won't be a problem.

Hell, even YOUR hair with whatever cleaning chemicals and product you put in it will wind up in the tank eventually. To me, it wouldn't be a concern.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I never had any problem with open tops when I had cats :)

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You have more of a problem with the tops then any cat hair would have on the system.. I'm not a fan of cats But I'd rather have a cat and its hair in my tank then a solid tight fitting total glass covering.. Tops are not a good idea

And for anyone with a marine reef tank I'd say that if anything is collecting on on the surface of anyones tank then you do not have enough top water surface turn over or mixing or surface skimming ..

1 person likes this.