One month of 3reefing- before and after!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by GeejEx, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Love this forum! You guys rock! (live, of course)

For my own amusement, here's the tank before I found 3reef and now five weeks later. Nothing compared the the other pix out there, but pretty exciting for a N00b.

Sorry about the pic quality, I only have a cell camera. Still working on the rock placement...

Day 1:
    [​IMG]

Week 5:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again!

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Nice tank you got going. Glad you like it here. I see a little yellow tail in there swimming around, they are great tank starters.;D

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Congratulations! You are on your way to experiencing one of the best hobbies. Keep reading, spending time on 3reef with questions and concerns, and try to maintain proper water parameter levels, excellent testing and husbandry practices.
    Good luck

5. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Oh, yeah, params etc...

29gal "long" 30", 60 LS, 30 LR, Fluval 205 canister, 130 GPH powerhead, 200 GPH powerhead, 130 W PC 50/50 lights.
    Temp: 78F
    Spec Grav: 1.026
    pH: 8.0
    NH3: 0 mg/L
    NO2: 0 mg/L
    NO3: 10 mg/L
    Alkalinity: 225 ppm CaCO3

* 6 turbo snails
    * 2 tiger cowries snails
    * 2 peppermint shrimp
    * 1 (was 2 ) hermit crab
    * 2 yellow tailed blue damsel fish
    * 1 sebae clown fish
    * 1 sebae anemone- the world’s most irritating fish plant animal. Every day (s)he(?) looks dead, then revives

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Looks like your tank is coming along in leaps and bounds.:)
    I would just like to part some knowledge on for you about the Anemone you have ,by the sounds of things your tank is somewhat a new tank 5 weeks , I would think that at this time your tank has only just finnished its cycle and is not capable of sustaining an anemone at this point as they fair best in aged tanks, im not sure if your LFS is trying to take you for a ride or you were just unlucky for the right info to be on the table at time of perchase.
    However I would suggest to you or anyone else that its in your best interest to return the anemone befor it starts to die off and spoil your tank, as it looking good for a new set up.
    This may tie in with the current problems your having ?
    Good luck to you

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

looking good! I agree with Waste..it's hard enough to keep an anemone in an aged tank let alone a 5 week old one....

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree with the others on the anemone concern, but just want to add cool layout. Nice job.

10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Looking good...Go Slow..................8)

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Looks nice.. My tank was over a year old before I added my bta.... Hope yours works out.... Good Luck!!!!!!!!

12. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Thanks all! The sebae has been a concern, and yeah LFS hasn't exactly been helpful. (6th Aquarium and Flowers, 6th Ave & Clement, San Francisco). I've come close to pulling it back out over the last week, but every time I decide to do so it revives and looks happy again. It may go into a 10Gal QT tank for a few weeks if nothing else.

I did my first water change at week 4, 20% (6 gal). I plan to keep with 10% weekly changes, params have remained stable after week 1, when I added a bag of bio-goo.

Long term I'm thinking this will end up as FOWLR or QT- I have my eye on a 100gal at AquaTraders (San Bruno Ave, San Bruno for those in SF Bay). $239 with stand. Next month maybe!