OK, Dorie really is an idiot.....

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Mulch, Feb 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

I have had the tank up for a couple of months and have been really enjoying my new pets.

So, last night I went to lfs and found a beautiful Hippo Tang (Dorie) and brought it home.

Took my time got her in the tank, everything looked fine. She was swimming and eating. All over the tank, in and out of the rocks great new addition. :)

So this morning I look into the tank and Dorie seems to be sleeping in a crack in the LR with just her tail and dorsal fin showing. After watching my cleaner shrimp crawl into my blennies mouth to clean it, I figure anything is possible with saltwater. After a while everyone else in the tank is out and about but Dorie is still in place.

So I throw in some food. Nothing. So I reach in and touch her. Still nothing.:confused: I try to move her. Not budging.

Now I am bumming out. My very cool, very $60 fish is wedged in a rock.

I get the 5g bucket and drain 4g from the tank. Destroy my aquascape (because she stuck herself in a bottom rock of course), move all my frags and get the rock into the bucket. I crack open the rock with a hammer and she starts swimming circles in the bucket.:)

When I left the house she was looking very happy again. So, like I said Dorie is an IDIOT. Can't wait to get home today.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Tangs, groupers and wrasses all do it....they really are stupid like that :p

4. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

Thanks, glad to know it's not just my Hippo.

She looked like a cat that runs into the glass door, then tries to pretend that she did it on purpose.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm

Ha, Ha, Ha!

Good story...

Glad it all worked out for both you and Dory!!!

Yep, they will wedge themselves into unbelievable places to sleep safely for night.

I would do same if I was a smallish fish living on a reef...;)

[​IMG]

"...Keep on Swimming, Keep on Swimming..."

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

mine also sleeps wedged into cracks and crevises
    I hope I never have to do a 911 to get her out of bed thou LOL
    nice save karma up ( hope shes good tonight)

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Both of mine do too!

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Mine sleeps on the sand under a large piece of rock... kind of sucks because it hangs out there for a lot of the day too because people are constantly walking by the tank... but at least mine isn't stuck. My friend had this problem with his trigger. Got stuck in a rock and he couldn't even break the rock.. Had to off the fish to get it out...

10. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

I'm home and she is fine :^)

Trusty claw hammer took care of the LR. Looking back, I probably could have just pulled on the rock with my hands untill she got out.

Just keep swiming...Just keep swiming...Just keep swiming, swiming, swiming

11. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

while i dont have a hippo, ill atest to fish doing strange stuff, my picasso trigger makes his day by removing peices of the bottom one at a time and dug a huge hole under the live rock and he takes naps in the hole behind the wall he built with the removed peices!! strange

12. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

:) Heheheh! I'm glad Dory is ok! I don't have Tangs yet, but my yellow clown goby ended up in a canister filter. I had to dismantle whole filter, and rescue poor guy! He survived! He's doing well, now! My Starvin Marvin!