New tank setup question, sand question.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nemosworld, Jul 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemosworld

nemosworld Plankton

I copied and pasted this fromanother forum i posted on, but decided to come here since you get better responses and info here.
    oh yeah! Hi everyone, first post here, being lurking for a while though.

ok, so i am starting up a new tank, 133 gal.
    and over the weekend i added 120lbs of oolite sand (4")
    question 1: Is this enough for a dsb or will there be issues with it, i have one more bag i could add.
    also i was thinking of doing a dsb in the sump with the sand from the old tank (still running) i figured it could seed the display tank and also be a good idea since i am going to add mangroves. I tried googling it, but no answer found.
    question 2: would a dual dsb hurt my system.

I also have pvc pipe under the sandbed, not for a plenum, but to support the rocks from shifting since i have a engineer goby.

question 3: which would be better, adding the sand from the leftover bag i have into the sump for the dsb or the sand from my current system?
    i read that when seeding your tank with sand from other tanks, not to use sand that was in tap water, i used tapwater for a while then switched to ro from the lfs, but after not getting any better results i went back to tap for a while, then bought a rodi, currently using it on the system. will the sand be good for seeding?

I know i am asking a lot.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

was your other tank running for a while? how big was your other tank? and what was the setup ,fowlr , reef? i know by using your old sand , that could cause some problems regarding nitrates rocketing up, which could end up being detrimental to your system

4. nemosworld

nemosworld Plankton

55 gal reef with softies and a few sps, 6 months old.
    rocks came from someone elses teardown. LS was new in bag from LFS.
    [​IMG]

New tank:
    Now has water and sand though.
    [​IMG]