New Tank plans

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jason McKenzie, Oct 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Well I've got the OK to start my dream tank
    I have some reservations starting such a huge project but I will be taking my time and ensuring I do it right.
    This is the plan so far

The tank will be 24H X 36W X 72L = 269G
    In wall tank with both 6 foot sections viewable. The wall does not yet exist and the flooring needs to be changed before I start, so I'm a ways off ordering the tank
    I will use a 100G sump and a 30G fug.
    Haven't figured out the Lighting yet, not sure if I will go 3X250 or 400 and if to go HQI pendants or just a retro mogal type. I will how ever be supplementing the light with T5's for atinics
    I will probably go with a ASM G-4 Skimmer.
    Stick with my PM CA reactor
    Water movement is my biggest question but I think I'll go with a closed loop and Ocean motion heads

I've promised I would only build the tank using Cash so I'm collecting bits now The construction will begin around christmas and that is when I will order the tank. I hope by then I will have a few more bits on the go.

I will update the progress with pics

But dose anyone have any suggestions or info that may help in my project?

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. coaster

coaster Astrea Snail

That would be my dream tank. I would have to build a new house around it though.
    Jason, is there a local reef club in Vancouver? I've never really looked into it.
    Your lfs of choice is Ocean Aquatics on Kingsway? 2nd choice?

4. Jason McKenzie

Ocean Aquatics is on River road in Delta. Second would be J&L Aquatics in Burnaby. I guess it's a tie really just J&L is further away.

www.oceanaquatics.com
    www.jlaquatics.com

There are a bunch of local forums my fav is www.canreef.com it a reef site for western Canada. You can find a lot of good used equipment and frags
    We post group get together all the time. One is coming up on Nov 8th.

Are you in the GVRD?

Jason

5. coaster

coaster Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info Jason. I live in Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast and work in Vancouver. I'll have to make a point of getting out to Ocean Aquatics next time i'm in the area. J&L is closer though. Most of the lfs advice I get is from Aquarium's West, downtown because that's where I usually am. One employee there seems to Know his stuff.
    Darren

6. Jason McKenzie

Hey Darren,
    What a beautiful place to live. But the commute sound kind rough. Being at the mercy of BC ferrys.
    Let me know when you head to OA some time and maybe we could meet there.
    I have always found Aquariums West very $$$$ but they seem to have nice stuff.

J

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Whoooaaaaa.. whata tank! :eek:

So are you single now? :tongue4:

What are you going to do with your other tanks? Combine? Do you work from home? :hehe:

This tank is going to rule!!! 8) 8) 8)

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Well Catherine has resigned to shaking her head as she knows the Dream has to be made reality :)

I'm not sure what the other tanks will turn into. I think maybe the 75G will be for a puffer. The 40G will be sold for $$ to fund some other crazy plan

And yes for the most part I work from home. But only 1/2 days. But I travel a lot.

It something I've been dreaming about for years so I think now is a good time to start

J :)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good for you J ... pursue your dream!

:hammer:

11. Rich D

Rich D Plankton

Sounds like fun. I am thinking about knocking out the particion? wall between my living room and kitchen and doing a three way viewable, but dont know how I want to set up the lights. I want it to look like the tank was built into the wall.:) :confused: ;D

12. Jason McKenzie

OK so there are some slight mods that have occurred to my Plans

The dimensions have changed to 78L X 36W X 30T That's around 330

I will have a 6" overflow at one end of the tank. So the entire side of the tank will be over flow. I want 2 returns again on each end of the tank driven by sea swirls.

My big ? is do I go closed loop for all my other water movement or leave the tank undrilled and go with OceanMotion squirts or something like that?

As it is an in wall tank I would like to take advantage of seeing the back side so I'm currently leaning toward OceanMotion type hard plumed stuff with no Closed loop.

J