new coral banded shrimp

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skiergd011013, Dec 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

my cleaner shrimp died some time ago and ive been wanting another shrimp, so i went with a coral banded. it has been in my tank for 5 days. it eats when i hand it food and does move around at night. my question is do they do anything during the day. mine just sits ALL day in his cave which it will not leave until lights out. it is so neat and i would love to see it out in the day. it did choose a cave which it can be seen during the day, but does nothing other than occasionally flick one of its enormous antennas lol.also many people say they are mean and kill fish, mine only will chase away my fish when they are pestering it for its food i give it. it even pinched me once!

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

yes they are partially nocturnal and will only come out of their cave when it is feeding time. i have never heard about it pinching someone cause mine is scared of me. they will chase fish when the fish is in their territory or is small enough to eat. mine does that all the time but is always too slow to catch anyone.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

oh i've had bad experiences with them. i put him in after acclimation and he just hid in the back. when lights were off he'd crawl around my live rock and just hang around and play with his antennae lol. he also scratched my ocellaris clown once and ate the heads of my camel shrimp XDand he almost pinched me LOL

5. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

ya mine is slow to he just lunges at the fish when they enter his cave to pick at his food. and the pinch was encouraged. i held my finger in the cave and it pinched me

6. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

They are pretty boring as shrimps go. I've had mine for about 2 years. My cleaner shrimp which is only a month old to me has so much more personality. My cb shrimp is HUGE!! He has attacked fish in the past. I actually found one of his claws lodged in my clarkii clown. All is well though