New blue tang, probable ich...treatment options?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Oct 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I got a small blue tang last Friday about the size of a silver dollar. I have noticed white dots on him, and I think he might have ich. I run a uv sterilizer at all times, and when I called the LFS they told me to treat the tank with garlic which I started tonight. With the UV sterilizer running 24/7 will the ich go away? Also will the UV prevent spreading the Ich? I do have a 10 gal and some copramine, but I will have a really hard time getting him out of the rock work. And i didnt have any luck last time i used that medicine. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The sterilizer may help but it will not get rid of the Ich parasite.These fish are highly suseptible to the parasite and keeping one in a small system doesn't help regardless of the fishes current size.As long as the fish is eating it should be able to deal with the Ich as long as its weakened immune system does not cause a secondary infection or disease.Catching the fish now will only increase stress and I would not do it .Please read these links.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/minimum-tank-sizes-selection-animals-137158.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hob...general-rules-successful-aquarium-126326.html

4. texanjordan

Sorry, forgot to mention I upgraded from a 65 to a 90 prior to purchase of this tang

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well thats a little better but they really need a min. of 180 gallons.These fish reach a foot in length in the wild and I have seen them over 10" in aquariums.I am not saying these things for any other reason but experience and the countless threads I have read regarding Tangs and Ich.Its really quite simple the Blue Tang is a little shy and nervous to begin with.Take them from there natural enviroment stick them in a small aquarium and bang Ich!!! Tangs have smaller scales then most other fish which leaves them more vulnerable to parasites add that to there nervous/shy nature and you can get an idea of why so many have been killed. The actual current size of the individual really means nothing because success is only achieved long term by making them as comfortable and stress free as possible I.E. a large system with calm tankmates.;)
    To answer your questions you actually can soak its food in Garlic or a HUFA supplement to help the fishes appetite and immune system.
    IMO the best thing for you to do is see if you can get him through the outbreak and then rehome it.Heres some good links to help keep Ich out of your system and select animals properly.Good luck.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hob...general-rules-successful-aquarium-126326.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/minimum-tank-sizes-selection-animals-137158.html

6. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Is he in a reef tank or fish only? If it is a reef, short of pulling him out, there isn't anything that you can do to treat him that won't harm the other inhabitants of the tank. If he is in a fish only you can do a hyposalinity treatment - take the salinity down to 1.009 or 1.010 over the course of two or three days. Keep it at the salinity for 30 days once the ich is gone and you should be ok to slowly raise it back up.

If you try hypo on a reef tank, you'll end up killing all your coral, so don't ;)

And your UV might help get the trophants swimming around, but it won't cure the problem.

7. texanjordan

I have a reef tank so lowered salinity is not really an option. I will use garlic and hopefully that will clear things up. He is eating which is a good sign

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I agree with Vinny. Tank size is an issue, but I have had great luck with soaking food in selcon instead of garlic. Both make fish more apt to feed, but i KNOW selcon has a health benefit with essential nutrients.