The Nano Itch....

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Birdlady, Nov 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Welp, I am officially getting the Nano tank itch! Want one in my bedroom. I am looking at the JBJ 12 gallon Nano pictured here
    http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_12g_nanocube.html

I have seen this one at my LFS and it looks really nice. It has everything, pump, lights 2 24 watt compacts, wetdry, fans, etc. Just no skimmer...

Does anyone have any experience with this product or others like it?

Would firefish be OK in a small tank like this?

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sue,

That's very similar to the tank I have for the seahorses. My tank works really well as long as the filter medium is cleaned regularly.

I can't see why you can't have a couple or three of those firefish, seems big enough to me :)

John

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Unfortunately unpaired firefish would dimish each other until only one dominant individual remain. So if you plan to put a firefish, it is safer (cheaper!) to just add one. Other dartfish might be more hospitable to community tank settings.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks guys, ...there is no real way to discern a "pair", is there?

How about the Nano tank? Anyone with experience?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I had one for a while. It did quite well. But unfortunately they require more time than a big tank. I found water changes messy and all the cool toys I had for the big tank were too big to use for the Nano. Xenia ruled and I couldn't keep up with the fragging. So I got ride of the weed
    In other words I was too lazy for the demands of a Nano. But I still have everything alive and well now in the 40G or the 75G.

J

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks Matt....checked out that thread. The new one is supposed to address the surface skimming situation..It also now has 2 - 24 watt CF bulbs and 2 fans.

It is now, for the deluxe anyway, $159.00

Jason, thanks for the input...I was planning to do water changes right from my main tank...??? I have read about people doing that....

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Cool. Glad they listen to the people at 3reef. ;D

I like the improvements. And the 'S' stand.

Not sure I follow the bit about using tank water from the main tank. Won't that water be kinda dirty?

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, it would be better than the tank with no skimmer! Right? Plus, if all bad things are zero, and the water in the large tank is right where I want it, why not?

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm when u say the new nano do u mean the one that is like 20 or 30 gal? i heard they r coming out with a new bigger one...that was like 1 day after i set up the 12...i am so pissed off lol...o well...