Mucus like strings

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by onecansay, Mar 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone. Now that my tank is 4 weeks into its incarnation I have come to notice that these white wispy strings "growing off the rock. Now I have noticed what looks like a tube worm, but it does not plume, just sticks what I call it's head out and sends out what looks like a spider web like plume. Does anyone have an idea of what I am encountering and if I need more munchers in there? Sorry, no pic at moment.

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

speghetti worms - good for your tank!!

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Spegetti worms eh! Good for my tank!!!! O.K., would a tang be able to clean these? Not that I would like to see them go but as I have no fish, would a small tang benefit from these as they grow?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You don't want to be rid of them as they eat detritus. Tangs are herbivors so no, they won't eat them.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Could be them.... If not probably the snails amcarrig is talking about..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Vermetid snails seem to be what you have. Quite interesting to watch when they pull web in :p

10. zubinmajor

zubinmajor Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Tangs are herbivores, I agree but the regal blue tangs are omnivores so it might benefit in your tank...IMO;)

11. anthonyhnj

anthonyhnj Plankton

Vermetid snails, About a year ago I purchased some snails from my LFS, and noticed this pink tube shaped things on the shell. I thought it looked pretty cool. about a month later I noticed a few on my rock, a month later some more. Well last month I had to remove some of my rock because there were thousands upon thousands in there. When I would feed my fish their webs would almost cover all of the front side of my rock. Although ppl say they are harmless they sure are not very pretty to look at when there are that many.

I recently tore down my tank and replaced some pieces of my Live Rock because I was tired of looking at them.

Guy at my LFS said Copperband Butterfly was a good fish to help the problem. Didn't try it.

Good Luck
    Anthony

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Indeed they are. :thumbs_up