Moving to a new tank this weekend

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Pjredd, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

So I'm going to be making the move to a new tank this weekend. Going from a 60g to a..... 60g! I know, I should be going bigger if I'm going to all this trouble, but I love my tank size and it fits great where it is. The old one was free but is really scratched up, and I can't stand looking through it anymore. So to make things more diffucult, the new tank is going on a new stand I built and in the same spot the old one is currently in.
    So here's my plan, and I'm looking for any advice or if anyone sees any flaws in it, PLEASE let me know.
    -I'll set up my new tank on the new stand tonight, near the old one.
    -Add all new sand, about 10 gal of saltwater (has been in another tank w/ heat and PH for a week) put in a heater and a PH. This will sit till Sunday.
    -Sunday morning I'll move all my water from the old tank to coolers/buckets, along with all my live rock. Then move fish and corals into coolers/buckets.
    -Move all equipment from old tank to new tank (after cleaning it all)
    -Move old tank/stand out of the way and move new tank/stand into place.
    -Slowly move water, rock, then fish and corals into new tank.
    -Sit back and admire my new tank and stand.
    It sounds too easy, so I'm hoping to hear from anyone that's been through this and what kind of problems you ran into.
    Thanks,
    P

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I don't see enough beer drinking in this plan :shifty:

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

beer? yep need beer lol towels, lots of towels. seriously, sounds like you have got a good plan and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it all goes smooth. should be an easy transition! take pics as you are doing stuff and make it a how to thread!!!

5. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

Good catch whippy! I'm not one to advocate AHWI (aquarium husbandry while intoxicated), but I can guarantee you I'll be putting a few away to help lower the stress level involved in this task. I'll even be using some of my beer brewing buckets as temporary tanks!

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Nice to hear more people brew their own as well!! My boyfriend and I brew :D

7. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

Yeah, it's another of my favorite hobbies. I'm finding the buckets come in very handy for dual use as well, as long as you clean them before switching between uses. The ones with the spicket at the bottom work great as a temporary auto top off if your on vacation. I fill it with water, set it on top my tank canopy, and run a hose from the spicket to my tank. As soon as the water level in the tank drops below the hose, the water flows from the bucket to the tank.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I use one of our "BetterBottle" plastic carboys to transfer water.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

LMAO...................good call!!!

[SCROLL]Luna;)[/SCROLL]

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

That's an awesome idea!!!!

12. Pjredd

Pjredd Plankton

So, step one is done. Have the new tank set up with new sand, water, heater and a PH. Went to sleep last night and had a dream that I woke up and everything in the new tank was covered in brown algae and I started freaking out.. Woke up for real and everything is crystal clear. Funny how your mind messes with you sometimes!
    Heading out tonight to go snowboarding tomorrow but I may start the move tomorrow night if I get home early enough. I'll try to post some pics and document the move like cuttingras suggested, maybe it will help someone else out in the future.