most of my fish died

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Oct 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I had 5 fish, now I only have 2. I think when I bought my last fish, the pajama cardinal, he brought something back to my tank. It was ICH, and it killed both of my clown fish and my royal gamma. :cry:. Oh well, guess that teaches me not to buy from a different fish store than the one that I had trusted. The very knowledgeble lady at my good LFS told me that Wild Clownfish can sometimes spontaneously get ICH and spread it to other fish. Guess this is what happened,but dont really know. I am using an all natural ICH treatment in my tank right now, but the Six Line and the Pajama Cardinal both look fine, and are showing not issues at all. How long should I wait before I add another pair of clown fish? Last time i got the chepo Clowns, but this time I want to get True Percs, Captive Bread this time.

2. Click Here!

3. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Hello and many saltwater fish already have ich carried with them in thier gills or what may it be. The key is stress that brings it on. I mean if someone bought a fish with ich showing then they might be asking for trouble unless its QT'ed and cured. As the motto to live by is "go slow let it grow" adding fish way to fast can cause spikes in your system causing stress to your fish. As i mentioned its best to QT a new fish get him eating and confirm that a nasty case of ich doesn't pop up. Ich can live for months in your tank not attached to a fish. Make sure your other fish are eating and they should be able to beat it. If you rush and add new fish right away you are asking for it to get ich cause of the stress of the new environment. So i would say wait about 6 months and if the others show no signs at all you are good to add the pair of clowns.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

+1 the lesson shouldn't necessarily be where you got the fish but why it wasn't quarantined.

5. texanjordan

midwest coral farms is my primary LFS, they quarantine all of thier fish before they are sold. the other LFS I was using did not, and thats where the ICH came from I believe. I dont have a QT tank, and I cant really afford one right now either

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hey Texan, what is the all natural treatment? This will help me answer.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The all natural medication is not going to kill the marine ich. You need to leave the tank fallow ( without fish) for at least 28 days to effectively rid your tank of ich. Ich needs to have an host during it's live cycle, without that fish to feed on the ich will die.

You will most likely infect any fish that you buy and place in the system, until you treat your fish and leave the tank without fish. Or treat the entire system with hyposalinity. Removing all inverts and corals prior beginning the hyposalinity down.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.

8. Click Here!

9. texanjordan

i am using Kordon Ich Attack, it was recommended by others on this site who have said that it works well.

Kordon Ich Attack
    Other Kordon Products

Kordon Ich Attack 100% organic for freshwater and saltwater including reef and live rock. Treats diseases caused by: Ich, fungus, protozoans, and dinoflagellats.

Ich Attack 4 Oz. (118 mL) bottle treats up to 240 gallons (908 L).
    Ich Attack 16 Oz. (472 mL) bottle treats up to 960 gallons (3,632 L).

Ich Attack is from Kordon a division of Novalek.

Instructions: Remove all carbon from the filter during treatment. Shake the Ick Attack well before using. Add 1 teaspoon of Ick Attack per 10 gallons of water. Repeat dosage daily for one week.

10. texanjordan

Since my other two fish are do not show any signs whatsoever of being sick, are they out of the woods now that the other sick fish are dead? I was advised to wait a month before adding any new fish, just worried that whatever it was that killed my fish might still be there.

11. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

I am sorry to say they are not out of the woods and with fish in the tank ich can live for a long time so i would say 3 months or so before you add something else to be safer but the best way to be sure is remove the fish treat them and leave the tank fishless for 2-3months and you will be sure its gone then. I have been through it twice so i know what your going through but its worth it in the end.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can wait for 3 months, but as long as you have fish in the system that ich can feed on it will be present.

This is your previous post.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general...range-fish-behavior-happening-help-96131.html

There are no short cuts, that product does not effectively kill ich. You just can not see the ich currently because of the stage it is in. Ich will feed on the fish for 3 to 7 days, at that point it falls off the fish and begin another reproductive cycle.