Mixed Saltwater

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mscottring, May 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

I've got my saltwater mixed, heated and have a power head in a trashcan with a lid on it. I plan on keeping 15 gallons or so at a time. How long should it keep like this, and what tests should I do before doing a water change with it? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

They claim not to use your water until its mixed for 24 hrs but not to let it set for more then 3 days. I use fresh water for top off and mixed for water change. I lose about 8 gallons a week so I just replace with fresh without losing salinity. If you always add salt your going to have a high salinity real fast. Hope this helps

4. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Tests: Temperature and Salinity.

How long to keep it: Don't mix up more than a water change worth. Then only keep it until your next water change. It gives you enough on hand for an emergency but you would never have ASW in a holding container that is older than your water change schedule. In theory, you can keep it as long as you like, just keep it stirred/mixed.

1 person likes this.
  5. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

Thanks folks, very much appreciated.