Minimum tank sizes and selection of animals.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Vinnyboombatz, Jul 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have seen this many times here and would just like my fellow reefers to understand where I stand in regards to minimum tank sizes and selection of the animals in our systems.While some may not agree with me I just feel it is important to try and summarize why I feel the way I do. I have been called "Tang Police",even" Mandarin police" but really my proper name should be "Animal Police" as I feel the same way and care just as much about Tangs and other fish as I do about a Sea slug.I take my responsibilty very seriously because ultimately its the animal that pays the price for our selfishness or poor husbandry and that is the loss of its life. You don't see places like LA or DD suggest minimum tank sizes for fish according to the size of the specimen but by species. There is a very good reason for that.Rehoming fish at a later time is stressfull to the animal and for me not an option as I get very attached to them.Finding a new home can also be problematic and does not represent responsible husbandry IMO. The people selling the fish would surely like to have as many potential customers as possible (meaning smaller minimum tank sizes would include more potential customers which is why IMO their tank size MIN. are a little on the small side anyway) but if you notice when they list minimum tank sizes for fish it doesn't say min. 130 gallons for adults but min. 30 gallons for juveniles. IMO people who buy fish with the pretense that they will upgrade soon or rehome the fish later are just trying to convince themselves that it is O.K. to do something that really is not in the animals best interest.(Which in all honesty would be to leave them in the ocean but I digress)This goes for all kinds of fish and inverts that we purchase and take the responsibility for."With great power comes great responsibility" and when you have assumed that responsibility it is important to remember that it is another creatures life that is at stake.Most people don't realise some of these fish/inverts can live to 50 years or more in the wild so long term has a different meaning to them. When taking into consideration the animals natural lifespan it gives you a different perspective on what you would call success.Not even I the "expert perfect fish keeper" :) stand up very well under that kind of scrutiny.I just want to end by saying I really am just trying to help others succeed and if I can save a few animals along the way that is just gravy.(I love gravy) Thanks for understanding my mania. I have made some great friends here and the knowledge I have acquired has been invaluable to me in my quest to make reefing fun and successful to others.8)8)Love you 3REEF!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    5 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Nicely stated, Well help me find a replacement for my Tang issue.. :(

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm the same way, Vinny, perhaps a bit more strict when it comes to larger fish even. But I'm sure you know my feelings on this subject by now. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. PawPawBlenny

PawPawBlenny Astrea Snail

I understand and agree with what you are saying. However, what other sources of information would give potential buyers/owners to more adequately provide for their fish, especially those of us who are new to the hobby. Is there a web site or something that gives more appropriate guidelines for adult fish?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Minimum tank sizes vary from species to species and is usually dependent on either their mature size,feeding requirements,aggresion,swimming habits, or combinations of these factors. Alot of people use LA for tank size requirments to give a general idea on where to start.Just be mindfull that this was created by the people selling them. It really comes down to research and for me if I haven't had a particular fish or animal I look to a trusted friend who has. This is not always possible but it is also a reason I don't experiment with animals I don't know or can't find reliable info. about.Luckily we have 3reef and many knowledgeable people to help.So to answer your question 3REEF is by far the best place to go for this info.;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Vinny please criteque my Nano-Tang thread. K thanks. Nano Tangs

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

LMAO, everyone should read this again, except this time, put the "Dr. Evil" voice in and you'll fall back in your chair laughing!!!!

Once again Vinny, you've hit the nail on the head. I've heard you preach this before, and you've always put it straight forward. If I may mention, that a large fish in a small tank also makes for a lot of stress, and imminent death.

1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

That is one of the lamest attempts yet of you trying to sell your latest album.LOL Gotta give you props for the dance moves though and the hair style is kicking.;D

1 person likes this.
  11. jeremya

jeremya Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well said, Sir. I got a little choked up.

1 person likes this.
  12. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

:thumbs_up to ya Vinny.
    I do not feel as strongly on this matter as you do but, I appreciate your passion.
    Keep fighting the good fight! :beer:

1 person likes this.