Mangroves in the reef aquarium

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by wastemanagement, Jan 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

So I was reading a post here recently and there was some talk of mangroves for the saltwater tank. I had also noticed a small plant at my lfs.
    I guess what I want to know is what are the benifits in your opinion and or are they even worth having

I am of the opinion no.

Mangroves in the Reef Aquarium
    This is a good read too.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Mangroves require a special setup. Fast flow and bright light. Completely opposite of what your general "run of the mill" refugium requires. Now, that being said, do you have a refugium set up already or do you plan on using these mangroves in another type of application?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Some swear by them and some don't. I personally have one growing with leaves and about 6-7 of them still trying to get to that stage. For me, they haven't done a damn thing for my no3. Some say they are awesome b/c they filter the water. I have yet to be one of those ppl. I've heard that to really see the positive effects, you need like 15-30 of them. Who the hell has the space for that many?

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Amcarring I dont acctualy plan on using them just yet I was more so interested inwhat others thought of them and their workings

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry about that :D They do work well with the proper set up but don't expect to mix a "regular" refugium with a mangrove refugium as the two can't work well together. Many people, including myself, have set mangroves up to grow in their overflow boxes with mixed results. I found that their root system gunks things up way too much for them to be effective in anything but a specialized refugium system.