mag level high

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mikeb, Nov 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted same question in "chemistry", I'll try it here now.

I had a problem a while back with my calcium and alk. My calcium, even though I don't add any, was always reading real high and I couldn't keep my alk up. I was given the advice of checking my magnesium.
    So now I got the Salifert test kit and my mag level is at about 2500. Is this too high? And can a high level of mag have caused my problem? I thought I would be looking for a low level.
    Also, I don't add any supplements except for occasionally upping my alk.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

How'd you get a reading that high? Hmmmm.... I'd have to check but I don't think the Salifert chart goes that high. Did you have to fill the syringe up more than once?

All the readings on the syringe with the exception of a full syringe, is a "point something" eg .04

What was your syringe reading"

4. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Yes, you have to fill the syringe twice. Then just add the readings according to the formula.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, that is really high....I am going to have to defer to another with more "skills" than me!

I will assume you did the test more than once just to be sure.

Are you using RO/DI water? If not, perhaps your water supply is coming in high?

6. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Hey, thanks anyway birdlady. BTW I am using RO/DI water. Also, if this helps, I'm using Coralife salt.

7. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Just an update. I just tested a new batch of salt water (Coralife) and got a reading of 3000! I guess that's the problem since the water I'm starting with has a ppm of only 4. So now I ask do I change brands? Is a mag level of 3000 too high?

8. Click Here!

9. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I also tested the calcium and that was at 700.