Liverock in sump?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nightster, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Well Saturday ill be picking up my 125 I ordered. I was gonna do a fowlr and wanted to keep my liverock scape in the tank kinda minimal. My question is can I load my 55g sump with liverock to make up for it? The reason being is id like to get a ray, which one im not sure yet, but know it'll need room to move.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Which ray were you considering? While I do not have one I thought they preferred cooler temps (high 60's-low 70's), which can affect your other stocking choices. A 125 if memory servers is right on the just barely big enough as well.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the majority of rock in your sump. The concern to me is going to be ensuring that it gets adequate water circulation to serve its purpose as a biological filter. Meaning you should probably get some powerheads and what not just as if it was in the DT.

4. nightster

Im not sure which ray yet. Did know if my sump idea would work lol.

5. nightster

I would really like a blue spot, but im sure my tank is too small. So since it'll basically be another dt beneath my real dt, should I figure out a way to put a filter sock between the return pump and the liverock tank?

6. nightster

The more and more I read about rays the more i think I shouldn't get one...

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If you load your sump with rock, be sure to keep a good cleaning crew of crabs and snails to clear debris or it will operate no better than a wet/dry filter.