The last and final trip to Deathco!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by geekdafied, Feb 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I went to fedex yesterday to pick up something, and it wasnt ready yet, so to kill sometime, I went to Deathco (Petco). I figured I would just go in an browse for a few mins and then leave....

AsIm walking up to the fish section,(about 10 feet away) I see a bright golden yellowish striped fish. I knew right away what it was cause Ive always wanted one. Its was a 1.5" pilotfish. After talking myself out of supporting Deathco, I browsed around some more and saw a Greed birdwrasse, blueface trigger among other not so common species of fish that newbs should not have for many reasons. I asked the fishguy there who ordered that pilot fish, and he replied with "why?" so I knew it was him... I said you do know that fish gets to around 3feet and grow 2 feet in its first year and eats EVERYTHING that moves... HE came back with yeah, its cool, its mean! I told him its not so cool to some new hobbiest who buys it because its "cool" and then eats everything in there.He replied again with, "but yeah its a cool fish and its mean". The tag they had up for all of the previously mentioned fish just had the price and name of it on it, no description like they have for the damsels etc. I told him they have no business selling a fish like that especially without some kind of description because thats a specilty fish that requires a minmum of 300g's. He started being an a@# so I went to the manager, stated my case with him, and he kept saying he doesnt anything about the fish and that his fishguy takes care of it. I got kinda heated about it, cause his fishguy doesnt need to be ordering fish just because its "cool and mean" if hes not buying it for himself. Then the manager asked me to leave, and I gave him a peace of my mind and them said, then he said leave and never come back. I told him I already decided a long time a go I wasnt spending anymore money there and letting all of my friends know not to shop there.

On a side note, North Arkansas Reef Club is banned from all Petco's because of some letter they wrote Petco corp. hahahaha!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Well I'm just happy that you didn't get arrested! LOL

4. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

::);D8)you are my hero;D;D;D

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Come on now Geek are you getting soft in your old age. Now I know a few years ago you would of showed his throat what his front teeth look like..:evilgrin:

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Geekdiesel!!!!!!! You da man!!!!!!

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i told a petco a few things,i did'nt take it quite as far as you but far enough to irritate them.i was surprised to come back and find out they took my advice.there was to many clowns together and they were killing each other to make room.when i came back they had sepperated them and they all looked healthy.i still think they should get better filters for the fresh water and give up on sw

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know if I should say that your lucky, but the deathco around my house doesnt carry salt. I wouldnt mind saving some creatures at a great price.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I just visited deathco a couple of hours ago, hoping they carried my filter cartridges. Of course they didn't, too big of a filter, so I asked if they could carry ONE in stock cause I would buy about 1 every other week. Well, the answer was no. I continued a conversation with the chick about how I hated to drive 45 min. to a local Uncle Bill's to get everything and she agreed, saying she had to do the same thing. After watching her give advice to 2 seperate people about saltwater fish I asked if they had any grounding probes. She said "Umm... no.... what are those?" So I proceeded to tell her then left, very unhappy. Couldn't believe their "fish expert" for the hour didn't even know what that was!!!

The only bright thing about this place was that they did take my Damsels and are trying to sell them. Better than just letting them die...

11. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

i was at petco the other day, and the clownfish were beating up on these two smaller ones, one of them was pale and stuck in there fake coral crap, pretty much dead, and there was another one being chased by 4 or 5 other clowns pretty much gasping for its last breath, i saw a manager come by and ask if i needed anything, and i said i needed her to take a look at the clowns, i said they weren't doing so hot and she just looked at me and said nothing, poor poor fish

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Maybe in my younger years when I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof! HAHAHA!

Now if one of them would have treated me like I was stupid or something, there might be a different story to be told ending with a court date, hahaha!

I made sure I was loud enough that other people in the store heard what was going on.

As mentioned before on here about Deathco. The only way to stop them from torturing fish and other animals wether it be knowingly or not, is to stop shopping there. I know they are cheap, super cheap on a lot of things. 99 times out of 100, if you buy a fish from there it will either die shortly after or give your tank a free parting gift of Ich or some other disease because at most of the stores they don't have knowledgable people working there. They're out to make a profit and thats their bottom line. They won't sell it, if people won't buy it.

I am to the point where something needs to be done about this place. Their fishguy is irresponsible to say the least and really shouldnt be working there if he is ordering fish because they are mean or "cool". Im curious how many newbs have bought things from places like that cause it was "cool" not knowing anything about the animal and then it totally devestate their tank.