issues

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Fraging Idiot, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fraging Idiot

Fraging Idiot Astrea Snail

:confused: ok i have a 29 gallon nano, i have checked the water ph, ak, am, nt and nt everything is balanced and has been for months. i have a silver pulsing xenina, 2 pom poms, some green zoas, 3 feathers, 2 fingers and a frog spawn, a coral banded shimp (whos a *****) and HAD 2 scooter blendies. One has passed as of today, NOT HAPPY!!!!! the xenias are pissed off and now withered and more purple then the normal pinkish color, they have been this way for 2 days. the only thing i have added is the green frog spawn last weekend. i did a 75% water change JUST IN CASE and used new salt from a fresh pack but the xenias have not got better. For some reason all the fish i have bought have died usually demsels, so to prevent being a mass fish killer i stoped buying them, (the scooters have lasted about 3 weeks), i think i owe this to the shrimp. all the corals are fine except the xenias which are suppose to be unkillable and one dead scooter, the other is on his way out. what the hell am i missing????????

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

that sucks man, I wish I could help but am only just started my nano a little bit ago too...karma for the loses...

4. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i had an issue also in my 20 gallon and it seemed that my coral banded shrimp was bullying(sp) the other items in the tank. after removing the shrinp everything seemed to do ok. upon reading some i found out that cb shrimps need a decent tank to move in. i dont know if this is what the cause was but removing mine seemed to stabilize the life in my tank.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1st, sorry for your loss. xenias like alot of light and flow, try moving it around to find the sweet spot. Have you checked the salt level, what kind of lights do you have them under, is the frogsprawn to close to the xenias, is there anything around it that could be stinging it? My xenias are a little higher than mid-point in the tank and with a good flow and are under MH.

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Sorry for your loss..I certainly feel your frustration..
    Xenias actually like a lot of flow. Our Xenia has nearly covered the overflow box in our display tank. Many of the stalks have detached from the rocks where they originally were and have moved up on to the overflow. They do like a lot of light and are finnicky when it comes to water conditions.. Xenias are not "unkillable." Actually it has been stated that they are a good indicator of your water conditions.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fraging Idiot

i have had the xenias about 5 months now, they "were" huge and also are above the mid point. when i did the water change i moved everything around obivously due to the amount of water i removed and nothing is within grasp of the other. the light is standard dbl bulb 10k and blue. salt is correct about 1.22 only becuase i just changed the water. the water flow is strong but not violent. Can the frog spawn posion the water at all? i have also debated removing the cb shimp but i am currently doing a 75g setup itll be ready in a month and he was my first so i hate to remove him. and i dont think he would effect the xenias.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Sorry for your loss...

Frogspawn can reach over 6"s to sting other corals.

The 75% water change could be more harmful then good. Corals need stabil water contions. Scooter blennies are like mandarins, they need and established tank with plenty of pods for them to feed. 2 of them wouldnt survive in a 75g let alone a 29g. Sounds like they are starving to death.

The damsels, Im not sure about, what kind of water are using?

10. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

a 75% water change seems like alot to me i wouldnt do more than a 30% in the future I would probably say the shrimp is the problem, if you move him into the big tank he should be fine though i have one in a 50 and its fine, how long was the dead fish in the water? do you have a good cleanup crew? i dont think the frogspawn would be an issue unless they were maybe physically touching.... keep us posted.... karma for your loss

11. Fraging Idiot

he was in the water a few hours max he was more then fine this morning when i hit the lights. thanks for all the karma and advice guys ill repost once the whole system falls apart i am going to call a buddy and move everything out to his spare display, i have tried everything i can think of and asked the lfs and tried that. im close to drop the whole thing and focus on the new setup

1 person likes this.
  12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Have you added any chemicals lately? Anything new that you didnt do before? Did you check for PO4?