instant Ocean HATE the stuff

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by msk454, Jun 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. msk454

msk454 Astrea Snail

Just want to say that i always used oceanic salt. never have any problems. but they want so much money for it. so i want with instant ocean allot cheaper. my tank is full of algae now. so i went back to oceanic now. so i hope my algae will go away. i think i will change ten gallons of water a day till my tank goes back the way it was before.so do you think that will help? my tank is 90 gallons,and yes all my bulb are new too.

2. Click Here!

3. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Funny because I use Oceanic and have green hair algae!

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I would have a hard time believing that simply because you used a different brand of salt, it caused an algae bloom. The salt would have nothing to do with that. You said all your bulbs are new, and that is certainly what caused the bloom. Don't change your bulbs all at once, do it over weeks. It will help any corals to adapt to the new and more powerful spectrum easier, and prevent a sudden algae bloom like that. Daily water changes will do little to make algae go away, too.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would say that something has been introduced into your water. Have you been using Reverse Osmosis DI water. Have you checked your TDS readings of your make-up water? Have you changed the type of food you feed or feed to much perhaps? Is your skimmer producing good dark skimmate. Thousands of people use Instant Ocean, Its probably the number 1 selling brand. I dont use it but I have in the past. it will not cause a algea bloom just using it. How did you change your lighting? I always replace all my bulbs at the same time without any problems. Do you have a refugium?

Just trying to help you look at other things.

Jay