ID (ballast maybe?)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mandarin11, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm trying to modify my bro's 180 while working with what he's got. I need to know if anyone can ID these. (The rusted boxes in the pics) I think they're some type of ballasts(VHO maybe?), but I'm not sure.

They're caked in rust and I can't read the labels on them anymore. Any guesses?
    (please forgive the photos if this doesn't work. I've never uploaded images on this site before)

IMG_0345 copy.jpg

IMG_0346 copy.jpg

IMG_0347 copy.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

well...those are the ballasts, but i would suggest that they get the rust cleaned off before reusing them. also dont forget how its wired because the wiring diagram might have rusted off a while ago...How old are those ballasts? They are probably VHO's depending on the size of the bulbs. What size are the bulbs, T12 or T5 or T6 (well they are out there now so i must ask even though its very unlikely that they are)?

4. mandarin11

No idea how old the ballasts are. There are T12 and T 10 tubes in there.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

the T12's are probably the VHO's. Are T10's Standard output? So those are VHO ballasts.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just Magnetic tar ballast Lowe's sells them. about 19.00 ea. you can buy the whole fixture for 10.00 or so Look to short to be VHO's though I can get you a reference number for them if you need ? VHO ballast like that run about 50.00 here you go Magnetic Universal 931-LH-TC-P W.W Granger Co sells them also but they won't cut you much slack I'd look at a Local electrical supply house Oh I don't no who put that mess together ? But they might want to increase their fire insurance coverage ASAP.. I locate them all remotely and not right over the water and they last about 10 to 15 yrs on average outside the hood.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  7. mandarin11

The T 12's are regular home depot bulbs, and the t 1o are marine glo aquarium bulbs. My basic question, if it can be answered, is are the ballasts for VHO or regular fluorescents?

The rust is horrible I know, but it's my bro's tank. I'm just trying to fix it up while I'm visiting for the holidays.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Those ballast don't look like VHO to me what do the bulbs say ? You can drive regular Bulbs with a VHO ballast and many if you want to go VHO then the ballast I listed is what you want.. The bulbs should say VHO or atleat H.O on them ,, A VHO ballast like that is about 15 inches long those look to be about 8 inches long as many N.O ballast are ?

10. mandarin11

The bulbs are N.O. Oh well, probably wishful thinking. Thanks.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What do you want to do here ? are you trying to upgrade to VHO's ?

Its a simple fix just need the VHO ballast they will drive 2 8 ft bulbs I use long wires and mount them on a geat sink and a board and set them under the tank not on top of the water..

12. mandarin11

I wanted to know what the ballasts were so that I could upgrade the bulbs to VHO if the ballasts could handle it. Since it's my brother's tank I can't do any major changes like that unless he decides to. (Doubtful) I'm just trying to make the tank look better for my mom's sake (and the fish's) since it's in rather bad shape right now.

I can't stand dirty tanks(at least because of laziness). I have a 55 mini reef so seeing his 180 filled with hair algae drives me crazy.:pissed:

:hehe: