how many airstones/airimput

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by gerritmatton, Feb 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gerritmatton

gerritmatton Astrea Snail

Does anybody know what should be a good "volume" of oxygen to be pumped in the water?

And does this correspond to a number/length of airstones?

GM

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting question. Is this a redox question or a skimmer question? What is your goal?

4. gerritmatton

gerritmatton Astrea Snail

I want to know how much "bubbles" I should let flow through my tank. I was on vacation for two weeks and my airpump failed, this resultated in a clearly deterioration off the general health of my tank. Now I was wonder what a good quantity off air should be in a tank per gallon.

5. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I was under the impression that one only needs surface water movement...pointing the PH's toward the surface so they create a current...isn't that enough?

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

That's what I thought Clownfish....

Gerritmatton...is this salt or fresh water you're talking about? I've never heard of anyone putting an air stone into a salt water tank.....

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I do have an air pump with two outlets; one goes to the skimmer(sump) and the other is in the sump behind the return pump. This is the first time I have an air pump in SW. The only reason why I have one is b/c Im trying to see if my PH will go up.

10. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have one blowing bubbles in the back chamber for my nano, just a small single outlet pump with no stone, the stone made bubbles so fine that theyd make a mist at the surface and it was soaking the hood, and seemed like itd cause a big evap issue...but I do have one, I thought better safe then sorry.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

A little trick for the salt spray is too put some bio balls, just for the surface. that will take care of the SS(salt spray).

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

arent the stone ones made of silica?????? and doesnt that cause algae? My lfs said that i should only use limewood in saltwater.