How long does denitrifying bacteria take to kick in?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by yheartsp, Oct 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm talking about those that live within the pores of live rock, and for DSB too :)

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

To convert NO3 to N2 gas?

Boy that would depend on the ability for you to create a TRULY anoxic enviroment, which can be tough to do.

1 person likes this.
  4. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    There will be plenty of anoxic environments under your algal and bacterial biofilms, plus a massive one in the pores of your rocks and sand. These are micro environments and the anaerobic bacteria will be there especially if you have used live rock.

1 person likes this.
  5. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Anerobic bacteria require nitrate, phosphate, an organic carbon source and a low oxygen environment. There are also some bacteria which are classed as denitrifiers that can live in aerobic environments.

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

They need the nitrate for an oxygen source NO3, plus phosphate and carbon as part of a food source. Each chemical has to be in the right proportions.

7. yheartsp

uh huh, i have all of that

[​IMG]

i mean my tank is one and a half month old, is it at it's full nitrate reducing capacity? or the denitrifying bacteria is still growing? :)

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

To answer your question, you need to know what your nitrate and phosphate levels are? Plus are you dosing a carbon source? Corals produce and excrete sugars (a carbon source) which the denitrifying bacteria feed on but with the usual amount of fish and inverts in a reef tank this won't be enough to fuel your bacteria to see there full benefit and reduce PO4 and NO3 to near zero levels. Thats where dosing a carbon source helps. You don't want to cause a bloom with bacteria as this will also affect oxygen levels in your tank as I mentioned before some organic bacteria can use O2 as a oxygen source not just NO3.

10. yheartsp

my nitrate level is 15ppm, i'm not sure about my phosphate level but i'm sure i have it because there's a little bit of red slime algae going on in my sump, where the flow is smaller but none in my DT. what do you mean by carbon source? i only know i have activated carbon running in my sump since the starting of the tank but i havent chagned it since so i assume it's useless already, gonna decide if i still wanna run carbon in the future.. so what now? o_O
    and erm, is there any products for carbon source?

11. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

How much carbon did you use and what is the volume of water in your system?

12. invert phil

invert phil Millepora