help transferring/starting new tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mikekx65, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Hello folks well I have a 7 month old 5th reef tank I am in the process of moving out of my apartment and into our new house. I purchased a brand new 75g and stand. I have the 75 filled with 40lbs live sand and 10 lbs crushed coral I also have the salt levelevel up to 1.025. I'm wondering what will be the most efficient way to get all my livestock transfered as in little or no cycle. I was going to take the lr I have in my 55g that don't have corals on it and putting it in the 75 and also going and purchasing some fully cured rock to put in as well. Is there anything else I should or can do to help me get the smallest cycle possible? Will taking the water from the 55 and putting it in the 75 help? I have till the end of the month to have the 55 completely tore down and removed. I know I should let it fully cycle before adding any livestock but I'm on a very tight deadline. Plus I work 6 days a week 12 hrs a day. So if you have any suggestions please let me know thank you very much -Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

By moving all of your LR and livestock at once, you'll be adding the same bioload and biofilter together. I've done this plenty of times (for myself as well as others), including recently when I upgraded from a 20L to a 29H, and have never had any issues. You can get a bottle of bacterial supplement as a safety net if you want, but I've never needed it.

Personally, I prefer to use as much of the old tank water as possible. While some will argue that it doesn't help, I disagree. It is true that your bacteria are not in the water; however, the aged water will assist with the maturity and stability of the new system.

HTH

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

So if I just went ahead and drained down the 75g and filled it back up with as much water from the 55 as I can and transfer all my corals fish and rock at the same time I should have little to no cycle?

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

That's what I would do based on your limited time available.

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I guess that is what I'll end up doing then. I guess I'm glad I only have about 10 min trips between the old and new place. Could he worse

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

You should be fine. Have a good plan laid out and you shouldnt have any issues. I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 220. I was very nervous, but after it was all said and done, it was very easy.

8. Click Here!

9. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Should like 40 of the 55 gallons of water be good or should I try to get every last drop kind of thing?

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

when i drained mine and moved to a larger tank, I took out all the water before getting to the sandy/sludge.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup, just take as much out without getting the muddy water :)

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1^^^ to everything said. When I went from a 54 to a 65, I used all of the water from the 54 except for the bottom stuff - all the LR and some of the sand bed and I didn't have a cycle. Good luck! It is a massive job but so rewarding when your new one is up and running.