green hair algae in button polyps

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dbyrd, Mar 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dbyrd

dbyrd Astrea Snail

i recently acquired a colony of button polyps and green hair algae is growing from the rock that the polyps are on. i dont have algae anywhere else in the tank and the algae is growing taller than the polyps, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to remove this algae without hurting the polyps. i want to do something because the algae is really and eye sore
    thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The only thing that I can come up with is, make sure you have NH3/4, No2, No3 and Po4 at zero, raise your PH to 8.4-8.6 and just give it a "hair cut". With nothing feeding it and the high ph, it should die, hopefully. Luna

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

With a teasers and very carefully I might add, I have had to do that on several occasions. You may have to do it several times but you will eventually get the upper hand and it will be gone.

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Lawnmower Blenny solved the problem in my case!

[​IMG]

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

As long as your tank conditions aren't conducive to hair algae growth, the hair algae on this piece should die off promptly. In other words, if you didn't have a hair algae problem before, adding a piece with hair algae on it will not cause one.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Use an unused toothbrush to remove the hair algae. Just try to be careful as not to injure the polyps. You can also try removing the polyps if their aren't to many and move them to another place within the confines of your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

I Agree With Gazog I Have Two Pieces Of Acro I Rescued From A Lps That Had Hair Algae All In The Middle Ive Been Pulling It Off With Surgical Tweezers It Keeps Coming Back But Not As Bad Maybe Iam Winning ,lawnmower Blenney I Have Wont Go After It But Is Good At Anything Else, Ive Had Them In The Tank For A Couple Of Months And They Are The Only Place With It