General Questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by billgil1, Mar 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billgil1

billgil1 Astrea Snail

How is everybody doing today???? Just a few questions regarding my 24 gal aquapod. I have been running my tank for 23 days now and everything is going fine with it so far. I am upgrading my sump pump to a maxijet 1200 for better water circulation. I am also running a Koralia nana that pushes 240 gph and was wondering between the sump pump and that is that enough water flow for the aquarium. I have the stock fixed lighting top but am plannning to upgrade to the sunpod 150 watt metal halides in the near future before I add any coral.
    I currently have about 20 lbs of live rock and about 10 lbs of live sand to start with. The tank is stable and with the salinity at 1.023 and am using seachem buffer to keep my ph and alkinity in check. I am not running my lights and haven't had any algae problems thus far. Orginally I was running my lights and due to what you guys were saying on the forum I cut them off... Just looking for anyone with experience with the aquapod 24 and any advice that you could give me that helped you... I did make a mistake about 2 weeks ago and have a goby, false perc, and a coral banded schrimp that I added to the tank. They have been in their and are doing fine. I am not running a skimmer and haven't done any water changes thus far and all my readings are showing zero. I have the cheap test strips and need to upgrade into better testing equipment....Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys can give me....Bill....;)

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont have a 24 gal aquapod, but I still can be of help. As you know, your still cycling and you shouldnt have any creatures in there yet, with the exception of one fish(clown). Buy yourself a better testing kit b/c those strip tests are garbage. As far as circulation, that sounds good, as long as everyone in the tank is getting movement. I personaly like to have 1.25-1.50 lbs of LR per gal. You dont need a skimmer, lights or water changes as you have mentioned. Good luck with your new tank and keep us posted and with pics, we love pics.;D Luna

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looks like great circulation.

Good/idea choice on pump.

I have same worry about gas exchange in my covered 12 gallon Nano. My solution was to run a airstone in back chamber. (have decided recently to run it in front in case of pump failure.)

Covered Nano tank is going to go belly up quick in event of pump or power failure.

Even have a battery powered emergency backup air pump which kicks on if power failure to give extra margin of safety if power fails...

I worry allot. :-/