Fire Safety

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by inwall75, Dec 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

At a reef club meeting yesterday, some people asked about a fire I had years ago. I figured that since there are quite a few new members, I would open up a thread.

I had a fire due to an arching fault on an el-cheapo powerstrip. I thought I had done everything correctly. I had drip-loops, I wasn't exceeding the parameters of the powerstrip, etc. However, it turns out that el-cheapo's are notorious for catching fire if there is a constant draw (think pumps, heaters). Hopefully Justphish will see this thread and comment...he's a fireman.

After my fire, I immediately went out and bought these.

[​IMG]

Here is the offending Home Depot powerstrip. [​IMG]

Look at the insides of this cheap powerstrip and compare it to the insides of a quality powerstrip. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First off....I'm NOT AN ELECTRICIAN and I'm sure I'm describing this wrong. However, what some firemen and electricians explained to me is that when you use a cheap powerstrip that just operates by using three thin copper strips and you are plugging in something with a constant draw, you are at risk for an arching fault. This could be a pump, it could be a clock radio, a computer that is left running 24/7, etc. Apparently what happens is an oxidation occurs over time preventing current from flowing. When that happens in el-cheapo powerstrips, the current jumps (arcs) over the oxidation to an area where there is no oxidation. Eventually, this arcing causes the plastic to catch fire.

I was lucky to have insomnia that night. I hadn't changed the batteries in my downstairs smoke detector so it didn't go off. The only reason I investigated was because my lights were flickering. This fire actually cost me a small fortune because I had to spray every single surface in my basement with Kilz (not cheap) and repaint to get rid of the nasty smell. I also lost some livestock. Wiring my tank properly would have been much cheaper.

Quality powerstrips are worth it. In fact, after the fire, I went to GFCI outlets on a AFCI (Arc-Fault) circuit breaker.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    7 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Great post Curt!

I guess most of us in here are guilty to a certain degree for neglecting this aspect of our equipment list. We tend to get so consumed with buying top-notch skimmers, pumps, lights, and what-have-you that we forget to ensure the electrical safety of it all, or at best, we think and hope that all is OK. But in fact I believe that most of us will fail a simple electrical safety test.

Thanks again for the heads-up on this one.

4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Curt, I remember your power strip incident.:eek: Great advise to go out and buy good quality power strips or even have your tank wired totally with gfi wall outlets. Spend the $ and have dedicated circuits for your tank. Great piece of mind. Also have that fire extinguisher handy.
    About a year ago I had a N.O. t-5 fixture short out with salt creep. It was a cheap fixture with out waterproof end caps. Luckily I was home at the time and smelled it burning. Lesson learned.......Not always the best to save a few bucks with cheaper equipment. Also keep up on tank maintenance for possible hazards.
    And be careful with the Christmas lighting.;D
    Scott

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Great advice, i know i should look in to this problem also.

KARMA to ya.

Marc.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Don't forget those canopies with the Metal Halides and the heat they generate! Also can start a fire!!!!

7. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Salt creep, splashing, dripping, DUST (you wouldn't believe how often I see this in peoples homes around their power strips)...all dangerous.

Recently had a small fire in a fellow firefighters house. The cause was a powerstrip that was encrusted in dust. Of course no firefighter ever wants to call the guys to his house, thanks goodness he did in a round about way.

One misconception though is GFCI will protect you from fire. It will NOT. It will only protect you if current tries to go to ground a different way, usually through you. They do NOT protect from thermal failures, fire, etc. There's a bc on the job who refuses to even use extension cords of powerstrips in his home just because of the danger they pose.

Good heavy duty power strips can be had for around $20. With the investment you already have in your tank it's foolish to not spend a little bit extra for good equipment that will provide peace of mind.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
    2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Great info from both Curt and JP. Thanks fellas for making us all a little safer!!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes well who listens ? I have seen so many 1/2 A$$ wiring jobs in this hobby it amazes me most all do not burn there homes and Apt's to the ground anyways. Again extension cords are just a temporary fix to a short term problem. Thats why the Electrical Codes we have are in place, I have seen many slap ballast right to a simple wood board or screw a M/H reflector right up tight to a wooden Dry PINE Canopy with no air gap at all and some cheap low CFM computer fan.

I made mention to person that what they had looks all technical and well put together . And it did I mentioned that it would not pass code in any city or county I have ever worked in .. And what was the reply ? Thanks for the advice but have never seen a aquarium that was close to any code :) Mine are ! not an extension cord or power strip in sight. And for those who don't believe in a air gap for M/H and using a power strip . I say keep them insurance premiums up to date :)

I'm the one of the guy's who goes in after the firemen roll up their hoses leave .. Man does it stinks nd looks worse.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The shame was that the powerstrip was only a stopgap measure. I had already purchased all of the wiring, GFCI circuit breakers/outlets, etc. A friend of mine who was a licensed electrician was going to install a dedicated sub-panel in my circuit box and professionally wire everything just for my two largest tanks. My memory is hazy right now but he was either going to do it the next weekend or the weekend after that. Basically, this fire happened 2 weeks too soon. ;D

Those powerstrips were even a stopgap measure because I had to keep the tanks running. However, I felt a LOT more comfortable with the metal ones than the plastic ones.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh man that was tough. Sounds like you have timing like me Curtis. :p

Fantastic thread.

And it makes me think, how many of us are guilty of have powerstrips plugged into other powerstrips?