Feeding confusion

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JetEngineMech, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I'm trying to fight off a cyano outbreak and don't want to overfeed my fish, but yet I don't want to under feed them. If I go by what the containers say I'd be feeding them quite a bit. Also, I have some stuff for herbivores, some for the omnivores, and some frozen stuff as well. Here's a list of what I have on hand as well as the fish I have.

Frozen: Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, emerald entree, formula one.
    Dry: Formula one pellets, marine flakes, seaweed salad sheets.

Fish: Yellow tang, 2 Kaudern's Cardinal, 3 damsel fish, boxer shrimp, peppermint shrimp, Chocolate Chip Starfish, Serpent Sea Star, Neon Blue Goby, a few hermit crabs and snails.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You can reduce the chances of cyano by increasing water flow!
    As for the feeding, offer your fish small amounts two to three times a day but only small amounts each time and mix up the types of food each time, such as vegetable food, then a protein food such as the mysis and/or brine shrimp and then the flake food another time, with a small seaweed sheet as a snack for the tang especially.

4. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

Ok, cool. That makes sense. I have some plumbing on the way for water movement with an oscillator. It should be here later in the week.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Feeding is something we all have struggled with.

What, how much, when???

Small amounts couple of times a day better then single feeding of large amount.

Never more then your fish can clean up quickly - minute or so.

Do at regular times and fish will learn to go into feeding frenzy on que before you feed them. ;)

Mix up foods as stated above, as different fish have different needs.

Eventually both you and your tank will sort out regular times and amounts.