Expert Advice - 65g LONG Reef Build

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rkw01, Jan 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rkw01

rkw01 Plankton

So after a couple of weeks looking around that site, and visiting tanks for sale, I've decided the only way I'm going to be satisfied is to start from scratch, and pick my own equipment instead of marring into someone elses. Plus I'm a diy kind of guy, AND I'll get to learn along the way.

I'm on a budget, somewhere around $1000, give or take, to get things off the ground. I originally was eying a 125g, but its going to cost much more in upfront expenses, I really can't afford going that large. So I was thinking about going short and long. Here is what i've come up with:

65g Long RR - 48" x 18" x 17" Tall - $248
    Nova Extreme SLR 4x55 T5 HO - $212
    Vertex IN-80 Skimmer (well-liked Octopus Clone) $130
    CaribSea Aragonite - $25 x 5 = $125
    Premium Live Rock $3.25 per lb $292
    20g DIY Sump/Fuge $60
    DIY Stand
    Misc items such as powerheads, heaters, etc.

Are there any concerns going with the tank I've chosen? I searched around, and only came up with 1 reef tank that is a 65 long: reefBoyDc's blog - The Reef Tank

On a side note, where could I learn about the method he is using to plumb the output nozzles? Without knowing anything about it, it seems like a smart way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

1. Welcome to 3reef. 2. Sounds like a good setup, although I don't know how to plumb output nozzles. 3. If I were you, I would go with the 125 that you really want. Even if you have to wait, you will likely save yourself money in the future, because if you have a tank that you got just to save money, you will still want the other tank. It's not fun having a tank thats smaller than you want (Okay its still fun, but not as much fun;D). Eventually, you will probably buy the bigger tank and you will have spent all of the money on the 65 too. If I were you I would try to do the 125 if thats what you really want. just something to think about.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't know if there is anywhere to actually learn to plumb the returns like he has. It really is just normal PVC and glue. I would imagine you could ask him how he came up with his design. but it's more trial and error.

If it's your first time with building a tank you may want to start off using power heads until you get to know what kind of flow you want in your tank. This is alsways something you can modify later

J

1 person likes this.
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I agree with all above posters, specially about holding off for the bigger tank. If its something you really want, why waste the money on getting half way there? I would just hold off.
    The only suggestions I can make on your set-up: skimmer. Why waste $130 dollars on a clone skimmer? You'll just end up with lighter pockets and more of a headache. Spend the extra twenty bucks and get a real octopus, and get the performance you'll be happy with.
    The last one would be to go with base rock instead of live rock. Much cheaper, and no pests/nuisance algae risk what so ever.

6. rkw01

rkw01 Plankton

Thank you for everyones input. It is much appreciated.

As far as all base rock, how long does it take for the rock to become live? Is there a recommended place online at a good price?

7. UTCreefer

UTCreefer Plankton

I would wait for the larger tank also. That and get all your equipment used if possible to avoid paying premiums at a LFS. Its a good budget for sure but you can stretch it pretty far with some patience.

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

How long is a 65 long?

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

~4-6 weeks in my experience. By the time your tank has cycled, it will be ready to go.
    You can search around, as there are so many places to rder base rock its really up to you. A sponsor here, Reefcleaners.org, has free shipping if you order more than 30 pounds, which is a nice incentive.

11. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I was really happy with what I got from marcorocks.com with base rock and aragonite sand! i highly recommend them. As stated above though I heard reefcleaners is good and so is BRS pukani rock

12. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Sit down and draw up what you want, or expect your return to look like. If your going with PVC us threaded unions and threaded gate valves rather than slip " glue in types". A male adaptor is alot cheaper than having to rebuy a union becaused you change something. Put a check valve in the return line with a gate valve above it. The gate valve will serve you well when its time to clean the check valve. Add a good auto top off and a couple of reactors to the list. Put the reactors on now rather than after a algea outbreak. Go ahead and bump that light up to a 6 bulb now because you will later.