Emergency Power?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Dec 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Was browsing HarborFreight.com for a trickle charger and came across this...Would run pump and heater for a good while during power outage...recharge from car if necessary...

I was thinking of running a DC small bilge pump from sump to main tank and leave on full time when out of town for while and when possible power outage may occur...just run from something like this which you leave plugged into wall to keep charging.

Might just get you thru a power outage while you are not around/ or when you are.

5-IN-1 PORTABLE POWER PACK

[​IMG]

Powerful 12V, 17 amp hour rechargeable maintenance-free lead acid battery
    36" jump start cables with copper plated clamps
    Deluxe heavy duty rubberized case
    260 PSI air compressor with gauge
    400 watt power inverter for running household electronics
    LED map light
    AC and DC power ports
    Battery level indicator
    Battery jumpstart: 600W amp crank and 1000W surge; Comes with AC and DC chargers; Overall dimensions: 10.6" x 8.4" x 12"

ITEM 96157-2VGA
    [STRIKE]$89.99 [/STRIKE]

$72.95

One or two of these to go in sump with it would also provide some extra help!

POWER DRAW: 10 - 14 AMPS (110 - 170 WATTS)

Might have other uses during power outage. 8)

Scott
    ("Paranoid" Eagle Scout/Army Ranger)

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Scott, hope your having a great holiday season. That's not a bad idea, the only thing is that Harbor Frieght isnt the best quality store out there. Would be better if it came from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, etc.

4. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

I have a westinghouse natural gas generator that runs my whole house I was tired of the electric company screwing with my tanks it comes on and then calls my cell to tell me its on But my controller usually always has already let me know it engaging the generator. well worth the 2000. for the 40000 I have invested in to corals and live stock.and equipment let alone a piece of mind. I have seen the electric out for three weeks here.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

WOW! --- nice system.

Very good investment!

I also have a generator, but have to be home to run.

I still like the looks of the above product's versatility...and think would be ideal for a person with a small tank or budget to provide some power outage security.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I agree... 99% chinese made stuff. And often poorly made at that.

Overall quality may be an issue.

But for a person on a low budget this would be an ideal short term backup system...

Make sure it works as advertised, or return.

Don't think you could beat price anywhere.

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Same size as mine which works great for all I want to run off it.

Trade off is size vs. fuel consumption. ---

If all you are going to do is run aquarium pumps, etc. you may not need one even that big. --- but is nice to have extra power to for lights, freezer, etc.

Make sure you have enough spare gas on hand to cover longest probable power outage.

Shop around.

1 person likes this.
  10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Thanks, Omard...We have 4 tanks so I figured that should be a decent size to run heaters, pumps, and depending on the length of the outage, lights...

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Having a generator on hand is worth it just for the peace of mind knowing it is there if needed.

We are "guaranteed" at least one power outage a winter --- have had to use mine 3x - once for about 24 hours.

Make sure you start up regularly and treat stored gas with STABIL (or like product)

Sounds like Reefdiver72 (above) has the ultimate system - which I plan on duplicating one day.

12. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey ! I use an old APC UPS 1200W. It works fine, I can run my filtration systems (2xEheim external filters + deltec skimmer) for 1 day, which IMO is good. ;D