Effects of High Salinity???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cpandrewschmidt, Jan 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hey all,
    Not sure how many of you read my post in the ASAP about my corals not looking good. Anywho, I think it might have to do with my salinity being too high. So, I wanted to start a new thread about Salinity being to high. What effect would this have on your corals long and short term? My test kit is off by about .003 so my salinity was too high by that much. I was talking with the guy at the LFS and he thought it might have an effect on their metabolism causing them to work harder and shrink/close up. He wasn't sure so he was going to research it. Just wondering what you all knew about the effects.

Andrew ;D

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

.....so what is your SG....? I keep mine around .024-.026 but aim to keep it consistant at .026 which is what i get from natural sea water.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That is also where I keep mine...striving for a constant 1.026...

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Andrew,

As above, you really need to post your salinity number :) In any case even at 1.029 there really should not be any real effect on the coral.

John

6. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hey, I was at 1.028-9. I am slowly lowering it trying to keep it at about 1.024. My corals seem to be looking better so I thought it was maybe just that. Not sure anymore though. I know it was never about .029

Andrew