dosing buffer in 6gal

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Jun 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what is the safest way to dose buffer in a 6 gal Nano? I think I killed an angler yesterday by raising the PH too fast. I used Marine Buffer by Seachem. Ph was 7.4, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate neg. Angler was huffing and puffing, so I added the buffer just like it said 1-2 scoops per 4 gallon. (I did use the 2 scoops) I am new to dosing buffer and dont normally dose anything in nano tank (obv with ph 7.4!!!) (always mix everything in 75 gal in sump so it dissolves) Did not think about diluting it, did not say to dilute it in bottle. Bottle even said you can not overdose it, so did not think too much about it, until an hour latter, George was laying on his side. Tested pH and it was 8.4 right after he died. IMO I think I shot it up to fast. So how do you all dose little tanks? I did make sure I added the scoops over several minutes over the little water jet....:-/

It might not have been the buffer, as I only had him for a couple days, but it is a fairly big coincidence that it died that close. He ate the day after I got him....

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss. When dosing, I dose half of what is recommended at first. Then depending on my test, I'll either dose another half or a full dose. Luna

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

why not just do a water change? 20% change on a 6g tank is 1.5g or something.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

unfortunately it is too late for ole George for a water change as he died an hour after I dosed it.....
    I will know better then to dose full strength next time. All my tanks (all 3) run low on ph so this is going to be a long term battle. I know next time I go to dose buffer, I will be more leary.

I made my own contraption to drip kalk, so I think next time I have to dose buffer in 6g, I am going to cut in half and use that to drip in over a long period of time. (water jug, IV tubing, silicone) Thanks for advice.

When I get my 125 set up (was delivered, not plumbed yet) it will not be as much of a worry, but it will still be in my mind and I have a feeling I will still dose with that kalk doser.

This is why I hate dosing stuff!!!!

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Why are you dripping kalk? Cant have too many sps in a 6g tank...

Im guessing you're not testing your tank parameters like Ca, MG and DKH. If you're dosing kalk, your ph will be out of whack which is why most people have to buffer with it. In a 6g tank, a weekly water change should take of all your needs. Even if the tank is packed with sps corals, a 1-2g water change a day should take care of your demands for Ca, MG and DKH.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Sorry, not dosing kalk in 6 gal, for my other big tanks (75 and 55) was not clear at all on that....long day. I meant I will make the contraption that I make for dosing kalk the next time I have to dose buffer so that I can drip the buffer in the 6 gallon over a period of at least a half hour to see if that helps out.

I do a 1 gallon water change in my 6g tank weekly, a 15g in 75 every 2-3 weeks and 10 gal in 55 every 1-2 weeks (when I had things in it). My 75 gallon is the most stable so that is why I have been able to extend out the changes so long in that one. The 6 gallon, I have even done a little more freq at times depending on the param, but usually I only had a frogfish in there, so 1 week was adeq.

No, I do not test Ca, Mg and DKH in small tank...no corals or inverts. Just a couple pieces of LR and froggie. Like you said waterchange should take care of that...should I?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

In smaller nano tanks, things swing much more. Salinity, temperature, pH, etc so you always want to be careful. Waterchanges usually take care of everything but if you do need to use buffer, using a very small amount more often is a better idea or your idea of simply dripping it is a good idea too.

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I too vote for water changes.
    If you test and find parameters varying more than you want, do smaller (1/2 g) changes 2 to 3 times a week.
    I would think it's important also to top up evaporated loss nightly in that size of tank for best stability of s.g..