Does it matter type of live rock...?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by joshuamartinez, Apr 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joshuamartinez

joshuamartinez Astrea Snail

Up until yesterday, I was under the impression that there was really only one type of live rock. I just thought its rock with bacteria growing on it. However in my quest of reading and my desire to learn more about this new hobby of mines I found that if it possible to have dead rock turn to live rock? If I am not mistaken. I see a website ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and see some great pricing on rock and have heard amazing review on it. but how is it possible for the dead rock to turn live?

And also on ebay I found this site Live Rock From The Gulf Of Mexico. Beautiful Florida Live Rock, Premium, Decorative, Coralline Live Rock. Fast Shipping, Best Price, Specials, Order Live Rock, Purchase Live Rock where they show three different types of rock:

- Premium Decorative Rock
    - Coralline Rock
    - Live Base Rock

Anyone care to clear up the differences? Which rock is best for your tank? Thanks ahead of time, I look forward towards peoples replies.

2. Click Here!

3. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Ok so base rock is pretty much just dead or dry live rock.... if you place the base rock in a tank with live rock the bacteria from the live rock will re-colinize the base rock. Premium display rock are just words they use to charge more for live rock for the most part.... some premium has more life on it and is actually better quality but you must research the company to find out.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

the only thing that makes rock "live" is bacteria. any thing you put in your tank (even your powerheads or lego figures) will get covered with bacteria thus becoming live lego figures (or whatever).

The best rock is the lightest for its size. Because it's not dense, bacteria can colonize the insides. that is, you get more bacteria.

Bacteria is the #1 piece of your filtration. You want plenty of it.

Bacteria on the surface is aerobic. It uses Oxygen. It converts ammonia to nitrites and some nitrites to nitrates.

Bacteria deep in the rock is anaerobic, meaning it is O depleted. This bacteria converts nitrates to nitrogen gas. It is this bacteria that is being thought of when vendors advertise how porous or light there rock is.

1 person likes this.
  5. joshuamartinez

they wrote this on their website about the premium live rock:

so if I get a bunch of dead reef rock thats very light and "dead" and a few lbs of premium live rock will all the other rock become "live"?

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

yes...

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, I agree it COULD. It also COULD come with mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp, gorilla crabs, eunicid worms, hair algae, etc.

All you need for live rock to be live is the bacteria as previously mentioned. There was a period of time where people thought they could actually build a full ecosystem so that's why they are advertsing these other critters.

8. Click Here!

9. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I, myself are adding some base rock... just a matter of time for it to act as the biofilter that it is supposed to be. Just take your time .... :)

10. joshuamartinez

Well i was thinking about buying some rock from "reefcleaners" because i hear such good things but I seen that it wasnt live so i wasnt sure if it was good for my tank, however now learning that they can be seeded it seems like I want to get a ton of light reef rock that is dead and get a little amount of live rock and let it seed the rest of the rock to make all live. is this a correct assumption?

Again thanks for all the responses this is very helpful keep em coming folks lol :)

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, if all of Reefcleaners rock is shaped nice and as porous as shown on his web site, your plan is excellent. Some rock that is sold as base rock (even live rock) by some other companies is not porous at all and that is not nearly as useful for our purposes.

12. joshuamartinez

nice, now that being said and done. How or when or i should say at what point do you know when all your rock becomes live?