Diatribe of a Newbie

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Deano, Oct 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

Over the past year I have been having some problems with my inverts. Since I set up my tank snails have just not been able to survive longer than a few hours. Originally, I thought that it was my water quality. You know the usual copper, phosphates etc, etc. I eventually gave up and just decided that I would just not have any snails in my tank. My hermit crabs were fine, but an emerald crab I purchased died in two days. I bought a frag of Xenia and it just melted over a few days. The corraline algae on my live rock never lasted more than a few months and eventually was always over come by standard green algae.:confused:
    I moved onto finishing the deck off my house this past spring and summer. But, when my blue tang got sick I decided I should finally pay more attention to my tank. I had the usual Newbie fish, you know, Clowns, Damsels, Chromis and one Blue Tang. Anyways I found 3 reef and finally figured out that my Blue Tang had HLLE. I was too late though, it had died.
    HLLE? :confused: I fed my fish Formula One and there was plenty of green algae that it picked at all the time.
    I placed the rest of my fish in a quarantine tank along with some antibiotics I had purchased . I decided to drain and fill my tank with water from my new RO/DI unit. After cycling I put everyone back in my main tank and decided to get more fish and fully leap full force into the hobby.
    I bought some more fish on line and only 3 of the 6 fish I purchased lived more than 2 days. Frustration!!! :mad: The yellow Tang was fine but died the next morning, the Naso Tang didn’t make to the end of the day. The Blenny swam inverted alot and would swim to the top and bottom of the tank. He died the next morning. The(baby) blue tang, the (baby)clown along with a medium Yellow Eyed Tang were fine. Water parameters were good, man O man what was going on. I still couldn’t get any snails to live more than a few hours. I talked about my problem with all the local fish stores and no body had any ideas what could wrong with my tank. So over the past few months I would just check various web sites to see what I could find as a solution for my problem.
    Any guess as to what my problem was. I highlighted some key facts about my problem that I have learned are clues to what has been plaguing my tank. I’m sure you O’L Timers and those more astute than myself have already figured out what was wrong.
    After perusing the web I was able to find out that my problem was. I went to my work shop in the basement got my voltage meter and BAM my water tested 120volts. I had stray current from the water pump in my sump coursing throughout my tank. It’s nice to finally figure out what was wrong, but it has been a long frustrating year. I hope my pain my help others in the future. I now will always check any equipment before it goes in my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That would have been where I would have told you to look. I had a friend to have the same problems a few yrs ago. He had installed a new G/probe and was sure that was not the problem All he had was a Voltage meter Got himself a VOM and checked the continuity of his new probe LOL it was broken inside the insulator from the box LOL.. He tried to rub my face in the fact the probe was not needed LOL last laugh s the best one .

Amazes me people will buy all the stuff they see but will not or they overlook the simple 10.00 ground probe many experts have written they are not needed LOL expert fish people no expert electricians though.. LOL Then you get reading repeaters cutting ad pasting their expert finding on every site that allows the C&P's and so it goes..Glad you found the problem. But you need a probe to ensure any other induced voltage problems will be solved its good insurance. Hey O'l timers ?? LOL I resemble that remark

4. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

:p I have spoken with so many "experts" and no one ever mentioned a ground probe for my tank in the initial stages of setting it up or the possibility of stray current in the tank. I guess that there are so many other issues to deal with a salt water tank that sometimes the obvious is over looked.
    Everyday is a learning day.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It's important to note what type of equipment would cause this. I'm not running one and my tank has been good for over a year. It all depends on each person setting up a tank.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well since electricity can be seen or smelled I'd say to add a ground probe to the tank makes as much sense as having them on a panel box to the outside grounding rods.
    But thats just me I posted this to someone a few weeks back here and on many boards over the yrs and every time I do I always have the local expert to climb me to tell me I'm wrong.. I've been in th trade to long to not have my tanks grounded. Its good cheap insurance..

7. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

Tank grounded!

I purchased a grounding probe for my tank. Hopefully this wont happen again.
    The Pump I had in my tank was a pond pump I bought from Lowes. It said that it was safe for fresh and salt water. It worked just fine with exception to the current leak.
    I am curious about grounding probes and how they work. The negative terminal in your house is essentially run into the same wire that grounds your house and or apartment. By placing a wire into the same circuit I would think that it would complete the circuit and be more problamatic. I would think that running the ground probe into a separate (grounded) wire, separate from the one the wall of your house would make more sence.

I still have 8 to 10 volts in my tank (or 100 gallon battery). Is there a way to completely get rid of all the current in the tank or is this just what salt water tanks have due to all the ions moving around from the the movement of the water, etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes you have a 100 gallon battery :) Saltwater and minerals and rocks can and do produce small amounts of current I guess thats why Mother nature grounded all lake and oceans LOL. But the line's from the power heads and all should be insulated from the water .. Current can find its way into the tank through the light bulbs and also along the wiring insulator's on the wire . Electricity does not run inside of the wiring like water through a pipe. Instead it runs along the outside of the wire and under the insulator. Thats why stranded iring can carry far more voltage and amperage then a solid copper wire.
    But now the path to ground will rid the tank of the little voltage you have . Many codes have been changed regarding elect grounding from the house.. I had one just the other week guy had trouble keeping anything alive.. Had a ground problem his fish where eat up with Lateral Line. I ran a new circuit and grounded it properly when I removed the old wall receptacle it was never grounded :) the ground leg of the wire had been cut out. But at least now he can keep a fish alive.. And the one Hippo he did have I put in a tank I'm cycling now and he is looking way better even the other owner said he looks great now ..

I just let the fish experts say and think want they want.. I know I prefer ground to ungrounded. And all who have went with a probe say they see a difference in their corals and fish. I have never had a case of Lateral line in my entire time in this hobby. But yes you have a battery..as I also do

10. pooner

pooner Astrea Snail

I never had a problem with current in the tank but a ground makes sence I am supprised I haven't seen any in the pet shops

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  11. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I nce had a rio2100 that gave me a couple of Shocking experiences. Replaced it and havent had anyproblems since. I wanna get a ground probe, anything y should look at before buying it??

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nope they are nothing special A 316 S.S long 1/8 screw and some waterproof heat shrink and wire with a Butt connector Liked used on a car speaker and just connect it to the screw that holds wall receptacle in place that is if you are totally sure that receptacle is properly grounded that is..Or just buy one like 10.00 and far easier.. Some just have the butt ring for the screw and some have a fake plug with just the spade ground prong to plug into the receptacle. Again that is if the wall out let is properly grounded. I just had a friend that thought his tank was grounded LOL now it is and his snails are living longer a few hrs Not to mention the fish look better.. :)

As for where to find one I'm sure any sponsors of this site will have them might check them out just type aquarium ground probe..