Cycling process

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by zubinmajor, Feb 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zubinmajor

zubinmajor Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi there,
    My tank with the LR is two weeks old now and all parameters are reading Zero already.Ph is 8. Does this mean the cycling is over and done with? I understood that it takes a pretty long time to cycle thru.

Also, the clown has a thin white film on one of it's eye... is it an infection or is it due to temp. fluctuation? Temp. flactuation being the only thing that has been going up and down. The temp varies between 82 - 86 F.

Would appreciate your comments.

2. Click Here!

3. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm no expert by any means, but I do think your temp is a little high even at 82, and 86 seems very high... My guess is you have mad evaporation. I try and keep my tank between 78-80. Also, I don't think the cycle is over after just 2 weeks, mine has been going for a month now and is still cycling. My guess is that if you have the test kits etc, and test often you will see a spike in something soon enough, all normal. What have you tested for so far out of curiosity? Other then that just remember to go slow, especially at first. I know first hand it's hard, I plan on waiting another 2 months or more before I consider adding another fish, patience is your best friend at this stage in the game. :) Also, ask many questions during this time :), this is a great time to learn your system.

As for the clown fish, I leave that up to the experts, by the sounds of it he seems ill in some way but I doubt it's ich or anything tank threatening like that. But again, I have no idea :-/

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

As for your Clowns problem, that is often times caused by either high nitrates or lack of dissolved oxygen, which can occur with higher than normal water temperatures.
    For the cycling aspect, tanks will cycle over varying periods of time! Their is no set time for tanks to finish cycling just rough estimates, as their are many variables that need to be incorporated into the equasion to give you a better estimate of time anticipated for the process of cycling to terminate.
    Having said this, if you don't have any traces of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, then I would wait another couple days and retest to be certain! Then if all is the same, perform a water change then slowly add a fish or two!
    Good luck

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Have a read :) because at 2 weeks its not yet started to cycle or be health enough to support much life as for infection on the clown You could treat the tank with some maracyin 1 and just use 1/2 dosage because the system is very very unstable at this point.. Or you can just let problem run its course and see if the fish makes ? If not and it dies just leave the caucus in the tank to help feed and keep the cycle going along like a shrimp many others like to use..Then set back and allow the tank about 6 weeks.. Now if it where mine ? I'd get a little yellow tailed blue damsel and put in there just one and let it ride But there is a lot of cycling info on the link below. Happy cycling and good luck with it..

http://www.3reef.com/forums/search.php?searchid=99561

Oh ran across this also posted by lunatic some good info.
    Saltwater Aquarium Setup Guide

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. zubinmajor

zubinmajor Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

All my readings are Zero! As you had suggested I plan on doing a check agian after a few days. About the temp in the tank, well, i am at my witts end trying to control it within limits. The problem is that the ambient air temp here hovers between 30-35C. It goes higher in the peak summer season. I have a fan that definately helps but only to an extent.

ok, important point my buddy. how on earth does one figure out if the algae in the tank is Coraline?

karma to you buddy...thanks a lot.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Coralline algae precipitates a calcium skeleton so it will be hard and sharp and will not come off easilly and will require a knife blade etc. to remove from glass. It comes in various growth patterns and colors depending on light, waterr flow and water parameters!

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well I have not seen any readings of your tanks parameters ? Calcium and Alkalinity and Magnesium have to be at proper levels to encourage and to support the coralline growth . But at just 2 weeks and the cycling issues then I know you have not experienced any spores of the corallines taking hold and much less starting to spread.

Coralline need as steady water parameters and proper lighting then any corals do.. I'd try adding more fans or even a chiller if need be to lower the temps..Saltwater looses the dissolved oxygen at a very fast rate above 82 F is there any type of House or Room Air conditioning unit that may be turned on to help tank temps ? I would try to keep it under 81F as much as possible . But if you add an air stone to the sump that will help evaporation and lower any NO2's and force a little more 0'2 into the water.

Now I'm sure many would disagree but I think until your tank can support Corallins and you have them seeded and spreading then your tank is not ready for much of anything except a few fish. And then only the hardier species. For what ever this is worth.. I'd just put the test kits away and let the thing cycle and settle in. And do no water changes that would just restart the cycling as you just removed millions of what you need trillions of . Denitryfing bacterias But again thats just my opinion ..and free advice :)

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

86 degrees for extended periods of time is deadly to many inverts/corals. Shrimp will first to go. Fish will not be happy causing stress and other possible problems...:-/

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Welcome to the 3reef,
    Firstly I think your cycle will not be over and secondly I would be putting my efforts into your bringing down your water temp as mentioned above, as this will only create problems for you.
    Some more information on yourr setup will help give an Idea as to how you can down the temp like how long you run your lights 15o's arnt that hot but when the ambiant temp is so hi maybee you need to diy some fans in your hood or run them for less hours
    Oh were is your salinity sitting ?
    You can try to get some heat out with your powerheads, try to break the surface as much as possible as htis will help with evaporation/cooling.
    good luck to you and you peice of the reef
    Give it time to grow

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You have too much money wrapped up in the tank to let the temperature be an issue. With the tank at 86 and really hot temps like you are saying why not spend the money for a chiller? If I had the temps you do I would do it in a heartbeat and I am poor;D! Just my 2 pennies;D!