cozumel pics

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by karlas, Mar 13, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

we were at cozumel 2 yrs ago and went on a dive down there never did it before, some of the pics arent that great but i didnt have that great of a camera to use but a lot of them still came out pretty good ;D

http://community.webshots.com/user/karlast

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Those are great Karla!

That must have been awesome. I have never scuba dived. I went snorkeling in Ixtapa once and there were schools of big trigger fish around. That scared the hell out of me! thats_crazy

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey karla, I went to your updated link and I got a 'Community Error' and it told me I don't have permission to look at it!
    >:( thats_crazy

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Link works now!

I like #38.

What is all that stuff in #35?

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

30,31,33,34, 35, and 38 were all pieces of the boat the boat itself wasnt intact but there was these big pieces left of it. if i remember right is was a boat that wasnt good anymore so instead of fixing it they took it out and sunk it purposely to help create a small reef they did it a long time ago. they dropped it in a big sandy flat area. the reef off of cozumel was stated as a national park and only diving is permitted no fishing so they are trying to protect what was left and rebuild what was. now it is considered the 3rd biggest dive (reef site) in the world. about 15 miles out they  permit ds fishing, but the water goes from about 200ft deep straight down to over 1000 ft. thats where the fishin starts even there mexico put a ban on all billfish if caught must be realeased. because commercial fishing was wiping them out. so the section b/w coz and cancun is only open to charter boats now. we did go on 2 trips so cool saw some daulphins, sea turtle, (didnt catch em but saw em) 3 sailfish, and 6 ft marlin. they werent hard to spot being able to see the first 100 ft down in the water.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool, reef building!

Wow you could see 100 ft down? That's must have been something.

I wish it were like that here. Down the hill from us is a beach on San Francisco Bay. The silt is so bad from dredging, etc,  that you can't see two feet!

Beyond that there is a lot of metals in the water too from a legacy of ship building that happened just a mile away from us during WWII.

Even more interesting to me is that the town we live in used to be an island separated from the mainland by an inlet. Around 100 years ago, people used to catch shrimp and haul them into town in buckets balanced on their shoulders with poles.

Now, due to some 'visionarys' a long time ago, the inlet was filled in and now a highway goes over it. The surronding marshy 'useless' land east of the highway was sold by a widow of a doctor that owned it all to Chevron. A refinery is there now.

:(

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

yep when we were in the shallower water the captain said it was about 90 feet and you could see the basic shapes of the reefs on the bottom. if we go to the jersey shore you get 1' in the water and cant see your feet. just couldnt get over that one that was amazing.

10. Kevin

Kevin Plankton

I know this thread is old, but I haven't been here too long and the board seems to move pretty slow, so I dont think anyone will mind.

Anyhow, I know what you mean about the pictures not turning out well. I went snorkeling in Cancun. Water clarity was amazing. We had a guide that showed us some shallow reefs. Average probably 4 ft under water. So shallow that when I hit the trough of a wave I was almost lying on the rocks. I took pictures too but the film was too slow in my underwater camera and they turned out really blurry. I wonder if the people that make those cameras have ever been in the ocean? I mean the currents will toss you around, it's not like I could remain motionless while snapping the pic. Ah well, I have the memories.

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the memories are great arnt they. i would love to go on another dive again. where i live they have local dive courses and would really like to take them but i have such a screwed up work scedule that i would miss half the classes. if i ever get the chance i will take them