Closed Loop Circulation

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by somethingfishy, Nov 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Does anyone used a closed loop for their circulation as opposed to Power heads? I am thinking this may be a good alternative. If you have one could you explain how yours is designed?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have a closed loop on my 40G hex.
    I used PVC to run the intake from the bottom of the tank up and over the side. I drilled 2 holes mid way down each side of the tank. I use a MAG 9 through a SCWD and then to the holes drilled in the tank. Each hole has a Flared Lock line to drstribute the water.

This is a very simple set up and I'm sure there are way more elaborate ways to run a closed loop.
    Check out OceanMotion's

Jason

4. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

I had a closed loop on my 180 but I removed it due to bad planning but I can help.

This is how I had mine set up.

Depending on the pump inlet size, you will need to go a size bigger for this closed loop, due to pump cavatation. Anyway, take a piece of PVC and run it inside your tank about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down and put a strainer on the end closest to the bottom. Then at the top add an elbow then a "T". One side of the "T" should be pointed at the floor and the other should be pointed at the ceiling. Okay now on the top of the "T" put a cap (but don't glue it) then on the bottom of the "T" run the plumbing down to the inlet of the pump. Then run the return back up to the tank however you would like...using a SCWD or oceansmotions. Now once all plumbed, take off the cap and fill the plumbing with water then put the cap back on and start the pump...and voila!

Mike

5. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

I have a closed loop on my 120 gallon tank. An Ampmaster 3000 is the pump being used, and it runs through a Motorized Ball Valve. The timer on this is set at ~5 minutes, so I switch from one side of the tank to the other every 5 minutes. The bottom outputs of my closed loop are designed to serve as a spray bar, instead of having an actual spray bar. It works very well at keeping detritus in suspension, to go in the overflow and into the sump. Anyway, this is my set-up (also, I don't recommend this set-up on a tank with DSB, as the concept of my tank is to remove detritus and waste, instead of process it - if this was used in conjunction with a substrate, I think there would be a perpetual sand storm).

This is the shot after drilling:
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside:

[​IMG]

6. chem_fun

chem_fun Plankton

Interesting idea. What's the cost on a Motorized Ball Valve? From a brief search on the internet I'm looking at about $200ish

7. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

Nah20 what kind of motorized ball valve did you use?

8. Click Here!

9. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

Has anyone tried doing a manifold type installation much like they do with irrigation systems? Those valves run about 20 bucks at home depot

10. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

The more and more i look into the Ocean Motion systems, the more i like them. I think they work great in almost any system. Jason has his 375 with this system.
    Hows it holding up J?