Changing Water in Saltwater Tank..Help!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Eric, Dec 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eric

Eric Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When doing a water change in my Saltwater tank, I was told by Fish Store Employee that I should refill with dechlorinated water without salt but seems to me that if you take Saltwater out you should refill with Saltwater?? Any help on this??

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Right, if you're changing water you have to replace the water that you remove with salted water. If you're just topping off for evaporation then you need to us unsalted water.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

mix the new saltwater to the same salinity as the tank water. the temp should also be the same, but if off a little no big deal. use ro/di water with a power head to mix the solution. take out the same amount going in. i use a 44 gallon rubbermaid bucket, one to mix and one from the tank. the dominicks near me sells ro/di water by the gallon so i just take empty 5 gallon water containers and fill em. store bought ro/di water from some stores has phosphates in them so be carefull where you buy the water. if you have a ro/di system you could use the water from that also.

and like amcarrig said top off water is not salt water, if you use saltwater for top off the tanks salinity will go up.

5. Eric

Is it ok to pour the mixed saltwater all in at once or a little at a time? I was told mixing saltwater in my tank to fast would cause it to bust?? Any truth to this?:confused:

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If your saltwater is properly mixed, you should be able to pour it all in at once. Just do it slowly so that you don't disrupt the sandbed or critters :)

Your LFS doesn't seem like they know very much about marine tanks. You might want to check here for advice before you ask them. Just a suggestion :)

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

The water evaporates not the salt. I almost made the same mistake when I first started.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

to minimize a sand storm use a bowl or plate to aim at when putting the saltwater in the tank, i use a submersible pump with a hose, makes life a little easier.
    your not going to be able to put the saltwater in the tank fast enough to make it burst, so no worries.

10. ziggy222s_gurl

ziggy222s_gurl Plankton

sounds like your lfs is adding their salt and water into their tank sepperately lol.always,always mix your sw before adding it to the tank.never add salt powder into your tank,its not good for its inhabitants.if you ever need to raise your salt content,add it to water 1st.

11. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

ditto!

And a great suggestion at that!

12. Eric

Thanks for all the info..