bubble galore

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by paulg, Mar 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I have a 90 gallon set up, been set up for years. I run a magnum 350 cannister as well as a fluval 304. Two large protein skimmers, counter current. About 50-60lbs of LR with a small amount of CC for substrate, will be going to a DSB when I move. I have 765w total as far as lights go, 2x250w MH and 4x65 w CF, the rest of the wattage is used for LED moonlights.

I have 2 small Kenya tree corals,1 LTA, 1 yellow tang, 2 Clarki`s, 1 peppermint shrimp and misc clean up crew.

Problem is and I have seen a link before and cant find it now. There are bubbles taking over my tank. I`ve checked all hoses in and out of the tank for air leaks, nothing. Skimmers dont put any bubbles into the tank. You can actually watch during the course of the day when the lights are on, bubbles rising from the CC substrate. Which in-turn collect on everything, my rock, glass, animals ie. corals. This produces long streaming bits of algea that when broken off, float to the top and are easily collected with a net. It seems as the problem is from the lights being on. Has anyone had this problem and how have you fixed it?

I`m going out to buy a Diatom filter today to run it and see what happens. I`m also going to back off my lighting times. The MH only run for 5 hours now and CF for 8 hours. I have never had this problem in this tank and completely up in arms over this. Can anyone help me?

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Nitrogen cycle produces nitrogen bubbes which rise from sandbed, bu not rapidly and only where it is anoxic............

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i ran a fluval 405 for a while, but then i noticed what looked like micro air bubbles. but it was the filter sucking up sand and spitting back into the tank. i would check your canister filters. if not filter socks rock at catching micro air bubbles