Bayferrox® C or G grade as GFO (granular feric oxide)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Anyone using Bayferrox® C or G grade as granular ferric oxide? iv searched on the internet that GFO is made by LANXESS called Bayferrox® C or G grade which is then just repacked and sold by the fish guys as GFO. C garde and G grade are just two different types of granual sizes and a bit different quality wise.

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I use Bayoxide E33P pelletized media myself. Almost all vendors buy and repackage Bayoxide media, its been used in the drinking water industry for decades to remove arsenic.

4. nanomania

so u use it in a reactor?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes, approximately 10 grams for every 10 gallons of system water is the full dosage. Its the same media many of the reef vendors sell as their pelletized or heavy duty GFO.

6. nanomania

dose it have dust in it or becomes powdered after some time? planning to change every month.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Let me get this straight... They are selling ferric oxide as a ready mix concrete color reagent?
    So we just take the ferric oxide and use it in our reactors...?

This is AWESOME! My family owns a concrete ready mix plant so I see a BIG discount on gfo here ;)

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

yes even iv heard its just used for colour and is cheap, LFS sell at really high price. dose it become powdered if used? Bayferrox and Bayoxide is the same, all we need to know is what grade to use.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

There may be other differences but it may not matter with a reef tank. For one, the Bayoxide products carry ANSI/NSF and EPA approvals for use in drinking water for human consumption, this is an extremely expensive and time consuming process and one of the factors in its cost to consumers.
    The Bayferrox probably does not have these approvals since it is not intended for drinking water use. I would also imagine as far as quality control it is not sorted and sized as closely as the Bayoxide products since size is not an issue when staining concrete. I assume it will contain much more fines and dust so the amount of usable product may be much less once you screen the sizes and rinse out the dust. The cost may be closer than you think once you have enough to use.

The Bayoxide pelletized GFO does not have as much dust as the granular products and lasts longer since it is tightly compressed into pellets and does not grind to dust as easily.

11. nanomania

can u upload a video or pic of how u using it and the packet?

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not sure who the question was directed to but the pelletized media is found here:
    Bulk Pellet GFO (Phosphate Remover) - English

I am in the water treatment plant profession so am able to get it in bulk from other suppliers not hobby related so the cost is less.